Connecting to a PC with dynamic IP on the Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to a PC with dynamic IP on the Internet

I want to do a couple of things with two PCs connected to the Internet with dynamic IP, that is they have not been issued constant IPs by their respective ISPs:

1- How can I reach a specific PC on the Internet which does not have a constant IP address nor
    does it have a registered domain name?

2- After answering Q1, then how can I ping it? Can I find the IP address/port number of the
    remote PC?

3- What would be the issues to overcome for single users connected to the Internet through
    their DSL/ADSLs? I need the answers for Vista Business, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Servers
    and Linux.
    Also if the PC is protected with Norton Protection Center, what to configure!

Re: Connecting to a PC with dynamic IP on the Internet

Originally posted by mhaviv View Post
    How can I reach a specific PC on the Internet which does not have a constant IP address nor does it have a registered domain name?
    You could use dynamic DNS, which is intended to solve just this problem. One registers an account for dynamic DNS name. A client software then updates dynamic DNS record every now and then. You can refer to the machine via its DNS name just like "real" DNS names.

Most of the SOHO routers have some kind of support for dynDNS.org and other similar services.

-vP

Comment

Re: Connecting to a PC with dynamic IP on the Internet

Logmein is also an excellent product.

Comment

Working...
      X