connect two different lan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect two different lan

hi . i have one modem and two pcs. i want to connect two different ip segment with it. for example first pc 192.168.1.3 and the second is 192.168.2.3
    how can i make it

Re: connect two different lan

Purchase a router.

Please expand on what you have and what you want to do with it. A single line sentence with no techical information doesn't give us much to work with.

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and so long as there is a route between the networks they will be able to communicate with anything on the 192.168.0.0 range.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and so long as there is a route between the networks they will be able to communicate with anything on the 192.168.0.0 range.

If 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.2.3 are on different segments then having a /16 mask will make them think that the other host is local and they won't send traffic to the gateway so communication won't take place. Only if they are in the same broadcast domain would they be able to communicate with each other with that SNM.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by nikol View Post
          hi . i have one modem and two pcs. i want to connect two different ip segment with it. for example first pc 192.168.1.3 and the second is 192.168.2.3
          how can i make it
          From how I am reading your question you want to share an internet connection through a modem, Is that correct?
          If so and presuming both machines are on the same "Broadcast domain" (Are not connected through a router), you could use ICS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
          As you'll see from the link though when you setup ICS the LAN Ip address will be set to 192.168.0.1.
          So the other PC needs to be configured with an IP address on the same subnet (Or configure it to pick one up automatically).
          But as Biggles77 said just get yourself a router if you can.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X