Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect 2 networks with different class address ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect 2 networks with different class address ?

Hi,
    I'm studing some network configuration and I need some help:

I've got 2 network configuered as:

Network 1:
    DLINK DIR-300 Wireless access point with a IP: 172.16.0.115
    One computer (Computer 1) wireless connected to this access point.

Network 2:
    Linksys WRT54G Wireless access point with a IP: 192.168.0.1
    One computer (Computer 2) wireless connected to this access point.

I would like the Computer 1 be able to connect to the Computer 2.

How can I do it ?
    Do I need to add some router between the two networks ?
    If yes, which kind of router ?

Thank you for your help
    Best regards,
    dgc

Re: How to connect 2 networks with different class address ?

Unfortunately I think you won't be able to do it with the hardware you have. The D-Link can only function as router with NAT enabled or an Access Point. The Linksys might be able to function as a router without NAT enabled but their site is down so I can't check.

If the Linksys can function without NAT enabled then you could conceivably give it an IP on both subnets, make sure the firewall lets all traffic through, and use it as the gateway for all devices. If you do that then the two subnets should be able to talk to each other fine.

If you want to have Internet access as well then there's some additional configuration that needs to be made... but this is all dependent on whether the Linksys can function as a normal router or not.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi JeremyW,
      I'll check if the Linksys works without NAT.
      How should the DLINK and Linksys be connected together ?

In case I need to use an other router, which kind (a cheap one) of router do I need ?

Thanks
      dgc

Comment

If the Linksys can function without NAT then you would plug the WAN port on the Linksys into one of the LAN ports on the D-Link and configure the WAN interface on the Linksys with an IP address on the D-Link subnet.

If you want to have Internet as well then you will need to have the default gateway on the Linksys point to the IP of the D-Link and on the D-Link configure a static route for the subnet on the LAN side of the Linksys.

If the Linksys can't function without NAT then I'm not sure where you'd get one. You could try buying a used router or if you have a Windows server you could buy an additional NIC for it and set it up as a router.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi JeremyW,
          I did some test:

I've connected the Linksys WAN to the DLINK Lan.
          I can ping the DLINK from the LINKSYS. But I can't ping the LINKSYS from the DLINK.

For the routers I had a look to CISCO, but there are a lot of different model.
          I've seen th RVS4000, but I'm not sure if it will work with what I want to do.

I'm a bit confused now with routers. the WRT54G is called router but doesn't do what I want. I suppose there is router and router !

Do you know which specification I should look on the router to do what I need ?

regards
          dgc

Comment

Originally posted by dgc View Post
            I've connected the Linksys WAN to the DLINK Lan.
            I can ping the DLINK from the LINKSYS. But I can't ping the LINKSYS from the DLINK.
            It sounds like NAT (really PAT) is enabled on the Linksys or the client's default gateway isn't the Linksys.
            Have you looked at disabling NAT on it? I think it's called router mode or something like that. What version is your WRT54G?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_address_translation

For the routers I had a look to CISCO, but there are a lot of different model.
            I've seen th RVS4000, but I'm not sure if it will work with what I want to do.

I'm a bit confused now with routers. the WRT54G is called router but doesn't do what I want. I suppose there is router and router !

Do you know which specification I should look on the router to do what I need ?
            I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. So far all I know is you want to have two AP on two subnets and to route between the subnets.

What are your goals and requirements? Are you just wanting to learn? Are you studying for a test? Is this for work?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like NAT (really PAT) is enabled on the Linksys or the client's default gateway isn't the Linksys.
              Have you looked at disabling NAT on it? I think it's called router mode or something like that. What version is your WRT54G?
              I can't disable the NAT on the Linksys or at least I have found how to do it.
              My WRT54G is a version 2.

I'll have a look on the links about PAT....

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. So far all I know is you want to have two AP on two subnets and to route between the subnets.

What are your goals and requirements? Are you just wanting to learn? Are you studying for a test? Is this for work?
              What I'm trying to do is for my personal knowledge and curiosity.
              I just want to be able to communicate from a PC connected to network A (172.16.x.x) to a PC connected to network B (192.168.0.x)

Regards,
              dgc

Comment

Looking at the manul. it looks as if you can set static routing routes on it.

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Page 61. I just viewed asw HTML.

Comment

I can't disable the NAT on the Linksys or at least I have found how to do it.
                  My WRT54G is a version 2.
                  I looked at the version 2 manual and you might be able to disable NAT.
                  Go to Setup\Advanced Routing and change the Operating Mode from Gateway to Routing.

I'm not exactly sure what this does (from a technical standpoint) but the description sounds like it is turning off NAT.

I'll have a look on the links about PAT....
                  PAT is closely related to NAT and often when people are talking about NAT they really mean PAT. That's why I posted a link for both.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

I looked at the version 2 manual and you might be able to disable NAT.
                    Go to Setup\Advanced Routing and change the Operating Mode from Gateway to Routing.

I'm not exactly sure what this does (from a technical standpoint) but the description sounds like it is turning off NAT.
                    I didn't know it was turning of the NAT ! Sorry ! But I've tried Gateway and Routing and still not working.
                    If I use the routing mode, should I still connect the Linksys on the WAN ? I'll do some more test later this week....
                    I'll let you know
                    bye
                    dgc

Comment

I didn't know it was turning of the NAT !
                      Because the manual is not specific on what the setting actually does I'm not sure it turns off NAT, only that the description sounds like it would.

If I use the routing mode, should I still connect the Linksys on the WAN ?
                      Yes, I believe that's where you should plug it in to the other router.

It's possible that what you're trying to do won't work with the equipment you have.

If you have an extra computer laying around you could get second network card for it and install a trial version of Windows Server and install RRAS or you could install something like www.untangle.com and use that as a router. This would be the cheapest way to get full router functionality without spending a lot of money.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi JeremyW,

I've tried everything but probably as you said, my equipment don't work as I want.

I'll try to use www.untangle.com, it looks very interesting !

I hope to test it next weekend...... I'll let you know.

Have a nice week
                        dgc

Comment

Sounds good.

One last thought for the Linksys. Make sure you have a rule in the firewall to allow all traffic to pass through the router. If that doesn't work then I don't think it's possible with that hardware.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

JeremyW,

I've used a PC with Ubuntu.
                            I've set the iptables in order to route the data from eth0 and eth1......
                            and it's working ! Cool !

This solution is cheaper than o proper router as CISCO or ......

When I've got more time, I'll try www.untangle.com

Thanks
                            Bye
                            DGC

Comment

Working...
                            X