Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Download speed for 5MB connection via fiber.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download speed for 5MB connection via fiber.

Guys i need a reliable source on the internet illustrating what the download speed should be for a 5MB internet connection via fiber. I believe this is calculated by dividing the bandwidth by 7, so according to my calculations the download speed i should be getting 5000/7 that is 714kb, correct me if i am wrong??
    I need this information to prove our ISP that the speed we are currently getting is way below the estimated speed.

Thanks.

Re: Download speed for 5MB connection via fiber.

The speed is going to depend on the size of the pipe that you are downloading from.

Look for one that is near you. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ed+tester&meta=

You ISP should have a cache of files that you may be able to download at "full speed" and give you some idea. I have a 12.5meg connection and the best I have done was 1.38GB from Apple in 19 minutes.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I would expect to divide by 8 (bits per byte) so you could get from 640Kbytes/sec down to 610 (depending if it is 5*1024*1024 or 5,000,000)
      Remember there is "hotel load" on the pipe (acknowledgements, pings etc) so you will not get all of that

Try speedtest.net for (IMHO) a useful tool to monitor your speed
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And do you think I could remember that site last night....... Thanks Dr Tom.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X