netgear fvs114 vpn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• netgear fvs114 vpn

I have a shared folder on a windows xp box I need to be able to vpn to the office and see. I have a netgear fvs114 that is a pain, I called them and they said buy license and they would provide external client and help setup.
    Why can't I just setup using windows vpn client ? I need more than one person to be able to log in to this.

Re: netgear fvs114 vpn

Thread moved to General Networking
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The NetGear VPN appliance uses IPSec and Windows does not have a built-in IPSec VPN client. Also, the client software to interact with the Netgear VPN is proprietary and needs to be purchased. Since I'm not familiar with the NetGear product, it's technical limitations or it's licensing terms, I'm not sure if you can use a free IPSec VPN client such as Greenbow or not. You'll have to research that to find the answer.

The other option would be to try to set up a VPN server on your LAN. It's not too difficult and even an XP machine can accept incoming PPTP VPN connections. The only problem might be in passing the required IP Protocol 47 (GRE) to the VPN endpoint. Not all routers are capable of doing that.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

In a helpful/ironic twist, I've spent 6 hours today configuring Netgear VPNs.

We're using an FVS318 at a customer small office to do an IPSec tunnel to an ISA Server. For remote support we wanted to try a VPN to the netgear, but as Nonapeptide states, Netgear make their money off the client software. It may well be possible to use another solution, I'll be looking in to that later this week. I very much doubt that VPN passthrough will work as it should on one of these boxes. There is no option for it, and passing port 1723 alone usually isn't enough. I haven't tested it though.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Situations like this just reinforce my inclination to avoid LinkSys, NetGear and D-Link products for even the smallest business solution. I'm sure their are other questionable brands out there, but those top my list.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
            Situations like this just reinforce my inclination to avoid LinkSys, NetGear and D-Link products for even the smallest business solution. I'm sure their are other questionable brands out there, but those top my list.
            Belkin are top of mine.

I know what you mean, but the only problem I have with these Netgear boxes is the need for client software to connect a client VPN to them, which is not really a requirement in the application I was installing for today.

The customer has Cisco Pix 501s which are end of life and wants something to replace them. Getting Ciscos to do IPSec tunnels to ISA Server is harder than french kissing a cobra (and the ISA was 2000 back when the Pixs were installed), so the old setup had a Pix 515 at head office as a VPN endpoint. With the Netgears we can replace all the Pixs and also eliminate the need for a seperate VPN endpoint at head office.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

For Client VPN most vendors are using their own client.
              Check Point uses SecuRemote and/or SecureClient
              Cisco uses CiscoVPN client
              Juniper uses Juniper Networks Remote VPN Client
              etcetc.

And Microsoft uses the (2000-XP-vista etc) build-in VPN client
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X