No announcement yet.

Hosted site on Fedora can't be accessed, Shows "Connection Interrupted" error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosted site on Fedora can't be accessed, Shows "Connection Interrupted" error

I've been in IT industry for about 15 years now, but got involved in helping a friend with his web hosting recently and encounter many issues that I'm not good at those.
    Here is the story:
    My friend already got a static IP address from his ISP (Shaw Cable), asked them to modify the DNS, already got the web site hosted on a local PC (on Fedora), all ran OK for the first couple of days, meaning the web site developer was able to connect remotely to this PC & work on it.
    Problem is that we were unable to access this specific site/domain name or load it properly. Whenever tried it shows "Connection Interrupted - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. - The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."
    The interesting part is we have also lost connection to the Hosting PC since then.
    It can connect to public network (Internet) via DHCP but fails when set manually with static IP.
    Also, just to be on safe side, we have turned the firewall off.
    I've tried searching Internet & also this web site but got nowhere.
    I greatly appreciate any help/comment/suggestion to direct me on the right path.
    It looks like I'm missing something here & can find it with your help.
    Thanks in advance,

Re: Hosted site on Fedora can't be accessed, Shows "Connection Interrupted" error

Originally posted by Fardin View Post
    all ran OK for the first couple of days, meaning the web site developer was able to connect remotely to this PC & work on it.
    Using what remote access tools? VNC, SSH, ... ?

Problem is that we were unable to access this specific site/domain name or load it properly. Whenever tried it shows "Connection Interrupted - The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. - The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."
    I'll assume that you could SSH/VNC into it based on your first statement quoted above... but you couldn't access the machine's web site using the URL in a web browser. Okay, I'm following you so far.

The interesting part is we have also lost connection to the Hosting PC since then.
    So now your original means of access it has stopped (assumed to mean VNC or SSH). Have you rebooted the machine? Restarted the various web server and networking daemons?

It can connect to public network (Internet) via DHCP but fails when set manually with static IP.
    I'm sorry to be picky... but are you sure the IP information was correct (Yes, that's a stupid question but I had to ask ). What if you set the static IP information the same as the DHCP information that works?

Also, just to be on safe side, we have turned the firewall off.
    Is it a software firewall running on the Fedora server or hardware firewall running in front of the Fedora server? If it's a software firewall, which one and what version? IPTables? What is your network topology? Is the firewall on a DMZ / perimeter network or on the intranet but being port-forwarded to by the firewall or just hanging free on the wild and wooly interwebs?

Other important information that we could use:
    What version of Fedora is it? Fedora Core 6? Fedora 9?
    Is anything else of interest running on it?
    What web server software is it running and what version? Apache? Resin? Gatling? There's many of them.

Of course, the standard recommendations when troubleshooting issues like this is to hunt through your web server software's log files and maybe even run Wireshark or another protocol analyzer on the sending and receiving machines to see just what's going on.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: Hosted site on Fedora can't be accessed, Shows "Connection Interrupted" error

Wesley, thank you for your reply.

• Yes, web developer was using SSH for remote connection.
      • Yes, we couldn't access the machine's web site using the URL in a web browser.
      • Yes, we tried rebooting the machine several times, and stopping & starting network manager ...
      • I am sure the IP information is "correct" based on the provided info by our ISP & Netfirm (Domain seller). As part of the test, we were able to ping the gateway.
      • And yes, it was a built-in software firewall running on the Fedora server that we just simply disabled it.
      • Not sure about the Fedora version, but I know it was not the latest one.
      • Again, not sure on type of web server installed on Fedora, but I can ask the web developer at a later time.

But before we go through the troubleshooting in Fedora, it would be great if I can find a way to test our static IP info.
      Is it possible to use the same static IP address, Gateway, Subnet mask and DNS addresses on another PC to see if it's working?
      I suspect it may not even be the Fedora that is causing this problem, rather could be wrong info provided by Netfirms or incorect Name Server modification by the ISP.
      Is there any other simple ways to test from begining?

Appreciate your help,

Fardin

Comment

Is it possible to use the same static IP address, Gateway, Subnet mask and DNS addresses on another PC to see if it's working?
        Yes, absolutely. Just swap the Fedora machine for another machine (Windows, for instance... it could be any OS really) and put in the same static IP information. However, if it worked not too long ago but suddenly stopped that makes me wonder if it's something else. Can you port scan the Fedora machine from another public computer (like your computer from home) to see if there are any ports open and listening? I'd be interested to see the port scan results from a machine outside of your ISP's gateway. If you see nothing showing up from a port scan of both the Fedora machine and the machine that you swap it out with then you can complain to the ISP.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Yes, I'll do a port scan & some other tests and then will be back with a report.

thanks,

Comment

first of all disable the network manager. it is designed to be used with laptops that hop between networks, while a server should only be configured once.
            either set up the ifcfg scripts manually, or use system-config-network

also, make sure SELinux is off, and that iptables lets you through.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Thanks DYasny,

It's been a busy week for me and I have not found a chance to continue my testing.

I'll check the things you mentioned on this Friday (my day off) and we'll be back here with the explanation (hopefully a good one).

Cheers,

Fardin

Comment

well, I'm subscribed to this forum, so I'll get an email ping once you update

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                  well, I'm subscribed to this forum, so I'll get an email ping once you update
                  You mean like this? (Sorry)
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    You mean like this? (Sorry)
                    I'm subscribed too... Biggles who cried wolf.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

something of this particular persuasion, yes

Comment

Guys,
                        Please stay on topic...
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank you all for your patience

Looks like I'm getting somewhere, now.

Setting up an individual PC with static IP address connected directly to Shaw modem worked OK.

Then, we tried web server PC as with static IP connected to the Shaw modem & still everything was OK.

Problem starts when we connect all the cables to the 8 port switch and then our web server fails with both static & DHCP settings.

While on DHCP, noticed it's getting their other servers information, so looks like that other Win 2003 Server is forcing it's DHCP & DNS info to the web server through the linksys switch.

Web server is still OK when it's the only cable connected to the switch.

My next step would be to find a real Hub (not any smart / advanced switch) to get the connection from Shaw modem & then feed two ports: one to the web server & one the the switch with rest of the connections including the main Win 2003 server.

At this stage, my question is:
                          1) am I correct to put all the faults on the switch? and why?
                          2) will my solution (introducing a Hub at the beginning of the chain) help or is going to worsen the current situation?

Many thanks,

Fardin

Comment

if it isn't the switch, might be possible that you have an IP or arp conflict on the network.

try to plug the cables into the switch one after another, when the first thing you plug in is the fedora box. see if the issue reoccurs once a particular box is connected. if that is not the case, I'd say the switch is to blame

Comment

Hi everyone,

It looks like we were dealing with more than one issue in this network & got so complicated that Just getting somewhere.

After all these trial & error process, found my friends network has been infected by a new worm & Symantec Anti Virus Server Ed. did nothing but to report there are some un-healed malwares in Server ...

I scanned one of the workstations with Kaspersky & found "Net-Worm.Win32.Kido"presence!!

Story short, it took a complete week for me to find the proper way of patching Miro$oft's security holes, disabling Autorun option from Registry & Server's Group Policy (this worm copies itself to any jump drive & mapped drive!), running Kaspersky's worm killer application, installing Kaspersky Workstation Edition, updating to the latest data file in offline mode, connecting to Internet one by one & updating it again ...

Cleaning up 20+ PCs, section by section, alone, all have to be done after business hours (starting 7:00 pm till sometimes 1:00 am), that's fun ...

Next step will be going through Network diagram & fixing / modifing / optimizing / securing it.

So, we have decided to postpone the Web hosing project to a later time and concetrate on having a better and functioanl business environment for users now.

I guess, we can close this thread here & I will re-open a new one when faced a new problem to use your help & assistance, again.

Thanks so much everyone & have a great time.

Fardin

Comment

Working...
                              X