Switches need reseting every day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switches need reseting every day

I don't expect a definitive answer for my problem, but any advice would be appreciated. I have a fairly simple setup with 1 DC, 1 Exchange server which is also an Endpoint Protection server, 1 ERP server and 3 app/file servers. I have about 75-100 users and a bunch of printers/scanners/copiers. My "hub" is two stacks of Linksys SGE-2000 switches. The main stack of four is here in the IT room and the second via a fibre cable is a stack of two. Sometimes intermittent, sometimes daily, usually approx 5-6am I lose communication with the main stack of four and have to reset it. I don't usually need to reset the other stack. I keep things as simple as possible with no SNTP, VLAN's mainly because I don't fully know how to implement them. When I took this position about a year ago the switches needed to be reset multiple times every day. This was resolved by getting the system time syncronized, it was a mess. I don't have any severe errors in event logs, and on the surface the system should be stable. I'm thinking hardware malfunction. Hopefully I have provided enough information to recieve some suggestions.
    Last edited by mmccormick; 17th February 2009, 16:13.

Re: Switches need reseting every day

Unlikely to be the problem, but... is there anything scheduled to run around the time that the switch seems to crash? A backup to NAS overloading the switch (due to bugs in the switching logic) maybe causing it to crash?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would run wireshark at that time as well to see what sort of traffic you can see.
      Are the switches in warranty? Have you spoken to Linksys at all?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Power fluctuations? Are they run through a UPS?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Unlikely to be the problem, but... is there anything scheduled to run around the time that the switch seems to crash? A backup to NAS overloading the switch (due to bugs in the switching logic) maybe causing it to crash?
          My backups usually last around 6 hours. it is scheduled naturally during the time the fewest users are on the system. I'm pretty sure it is done before the average time the event happens. But your reply has me wanting to check and compare when Subaru sends data to the ERP system.

Comment

Certainly doesn't hurt to check - even if all you gain is a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes

Modern switchgear shouldn't be susceptible to falling over when worked to their full capacity. But then again, I've always avoided Linksys.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              I would run wireshark at that time as well to see what sort of traffic you can see.
              Are the switches in warranty? Have you spoken to Linksys at all?
              I will locate and try wireshark. Warranty is a no go. I did try to use the Linksys forum but was ignored.

Comment

Certainly doesn't hurt to check - even if all you gain is a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes

Modern switchgear shouldn't be susceptible to falling over when worked to their full capacity. But then again, I've always avoided Linksys.
                I hear you, since I haven't been formally trained in IT pretty much everything I encounter is a huge learning experience. I have been an electrical engineer for 8 years but an admin for only one. Like you personally I don't like Linksys for my home stuff but obviously when one inherits anothers bad choices you do what you can. I have looked in the log of the switch but I don't really understand what the dialog means. Would it be appropriate to post a couple of lines/messages for someone to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by mmccormick View Post
                  I will locate and try wireshark. Warranty is a no go. I did try to use the Linksys forum but was ignored.
                  Which LinkSys forum did you use? For LinkSys issues, I always go to www.LinkSysInfo.org. It's unaffiliated with LinkSys / Cisco, but it has many very smart people there who have been dealing with LinkSys for years. I think there might be some official LinkSys techs that are there on an unofficial basis too.

Actually, I was first tempted to answer "Oh... well there's your problem!" when it was revealed that the switches were LinkSys, but I thought that wouldn't be particularly productive.

I hear you, since I haven't been formally trained in IT pretty much everything I encounter is a huge learning experience.
                  That's what keeps us coming back for more, right?

I have looked in the log of the switch but I don't really understand what the dialog means. Would it be appropriate to post a couple of lines/messages for someone to explain?
                  By all means, please do.

You might also want to try unstacking your switches. Believe it or not, stacking rack switches like that can cause some problems occasionally. "True" stacking is supposed to emulate the much larger switch bodies that have slots for cards, but really they can't quite make it seamless. Although, I think some new Cisco technology alleges to be a truly stackable solution, but I digress...
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
                    Actually, I was first tempted to answer "Oh... well there's your problem!" when it was revealed that the switches were LinkSys, but I thought that wouldn't be particularly productive.
                    Well played

Originally posted by mmccormick
                    I hear you, since I haven't been formally trained in IT pretty much everything I encounter is a huge learning experience.
                    In my opinion that's the best way to learn 'IT'. I've never had any formal training in IT administration - instead I've learned whatever has been necessary for me to learn to do the job, both from widely respected industry experts, and from fellow admins.

Originally posted by mmccormick
                    I have looked in the log of the switch but I don't really understand what the dialog means. Would it be appropriate to post a couple of lines/messages for someone to explain?
                    By all means - depending on the length it may be best to post a text file as an attachment rather than paste sections of the log into your post though.

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
                    Believe it or not, stacking rack switches like that can cause some problems occasionally.
                    Yes, but proper cooling of your rack helps

I agree, I have experimented with various models and have only ever found one that worked flawlessly for me - the 3com series of SuperStack 3 switches. That said, I've only tried a handful.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Attached as recommended. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "unstacking". Currently they are daisy-chained together as such--sw1 p24 to sw2 p12, sw2 p24 to sw3 p12, sw3 p24 to sw4 p12, then finally sw4 p24 to sw1 p12. I'm thinking I checked the manual and it's a standard config. They also have shared ports with the fibre (GBIC) links on p11,12,23,24 but I'm only using what would be sw1 p11 to connect to the other stack some distance away. Also it seems odd that the log is so short. I would expect at least 24 hours, but it isn't.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "unstacking".
                        I refer to the concept of logically stacking switches. Check out page 12 and 13 of the SGE 2000 manual. Also, here's a technical bulletin for the subject of stack mode for LinkSys switches. Are you switches operating in stack mode? Also, I hesitate to mention this, but what version of firmware are your switches running? Are they all the same version? Flashing firmware is a non-trivial operation. No matter how easy the actual process is, it can still cause major problems... (glances at Dumber).

EDIT: Also, here's the LinkSys support page for your switches.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                          I refer to the concept of logically stacking switches. Check out page 12 and 13 of the SGE 2000 manual. Also, here's a technical bulletin for the subject of stack mode for LinkSys switches. Are you switches operating in stack mode? Also, I hesitate to mention this, but what version of firmware are your switches running? Are they all the same version? Flashing firmware is a non-trivial operation. No matter how easy the actual process is, it can still cause major problems... (glances at Dumber).

EDIT: Also, here's the LinkSys support page for your switches.
                          Yes the units are definitely in stack mode, because the top is the master and there is a system info screen through the web interface and it clearly states the units are in stack mode. Yes, the firmwares are all the same versions. I have been considering upgrading firmware, but for some reason I haven't done it, not sure why now that I think about it. So when you say unstack, do you mean run each switch in standalone mode?

Comment

So when you say unstack, do you mean run each switch in standalone mode?
                            Yep. It's just a long-shot hunch, but it's worth a try.
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

OK, I feel I have a few things to try. Of course I can't do them until probably next weekend. A huge thanks to all who spent your valuable time on my issue, I'm sure you had better, and more enjoyable things to do. I'll read the FAQ to figure out how to give you all a positive help rating or whatever it's called here. If it's OK I'd like to give this thread a bump when I have some reportable results.

Comment

Working...
                              X