autoconfiguration with static ip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autoconfiguration with static ip

Hello I am having trouble with 2 new dell 220 desktop I have recently purchased for the boss. The PC is running vista business. It will only come up with local access, I have about 30 other PCs running on the system and have set others up fine.

It will not take the static IP that I set.

IP 10.184.74.xxx
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 10.184.74.90

Dns 10.250.9.240
    Alt dns 10.250.9.241

Instead it come with an autoconfiguration ip of 169.254.51.230 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0

I have tried resetting the drivers.
    Reinstalling the network drivers.
    Disconnecting the drive.
    Dell have replaced the NIC.

The PC will take other IP address for example 44.44.44.44 but nothing in our range.

Please help.

Re: autoconfiguration with static ip

Originally posted by bavisimo View Post
    Instead it come with an autoconfiguration ip of 169.254.51.230 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0
    Ok so that PC doesn't get assigned an address by the DHCP server...

Originally posted by bavisimo View Post
    The PC will take other IP address for example 44.44.44.44 but nothing in our range
    ... whereas this one gets assigned a seemingly random address, that isn't a self-generated 169... address?

What are you using as a DHCP server? Are there enough addresses free in your configured pool? Could there be any other DHCP servers running on the network?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

No there is no DHCP it is in a workgroup

Comment

Sorry I misunderstood. So you're manually assigning an IP address locally on each workstation.

Vista Business, which architecture and service pack? Have you connected them to the internet (yes, I realise you are having connectivity problems on this particular network) and installed all of the latest updates?

What is the NIC model in the machines? Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest version?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

it is a Realtek rtl81xx PCI-E NIC i have updated the network drivers from both dell's site and the realtek site. the version of vista business is the one that came of the factory image i have not been able to update widows as i cant get online with it.

Comment

What service pack and architecture?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

service pack 1 and i am not sure what you mean my architecture

Comment

32 or 64 bit.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

oh its 32 bit

Comment

Are the other systems runnning on the network XP or Vista? Have you tried disabling TCP-IP v6 on the Vista machines, just in case.

Comment

yes there are other mashines running vista, i have disabled ipv6 on the problematic machine but i have not thought about doing it on the other i will give that a shot in the morning. Thank you

Comment

most of the machines are on XP some on 2000 (old i know) and a few laptops on vista.

Comment

I see. And it is just the one laptop, unfortunately your bosses, that won't connect properly. I remember this type of scenario all too well.

Comment

yeah it just the new desktops that wont connect.

Comment

Scan the network to make sure that IP isn't already being used.
                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X