Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with connecting to other machines

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me understand the issue i have in relation to sharing file between two machines across network.

I have a network with 2 laptops, 2 desktops and a SBS server machine. SBS server is responsible for assigning IP addresses to computers across the network. Now here is the issue i am facing.

The two laptops are not part of the Server Domain but are of "HomeNetwork" workgroup. What really confuses me is that they can not see each other. I have tried to ping each other but got no replies whatsoever. Is this because they are connected via the server SBS?

They both run on XP Pro and so do the other desktops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Re: issue with connecting to other machines

If they are on the same subnet then is your firewall enabled on them both?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Are the laptops being assigned IP addresses? In the same subnet? When you ping them, do the hostnames resolve?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

They are actually hooked onto the router together with the server. So just imagine all the machines are connected via the router. This way, i believe they should all be on the same subnet.

Yes, the firewall on both laptops were turned off when trying to connect to each other. So i have no idea of what possibly might be stopping them from seeing each other. I have also made sure that they are on the same workgroup. Do not know what else i should try in terms of troubleshooting methods.

No, when i ping the other laptop using the IP address from the first laptop, it returned "no replies" three times and vise versa.

Thank you in advance

Comment

I take it you mean that the computers all connect to the router that connects to the internet? or is it a switch they connect to?

Is the Computer Browser service set to automatic and started?
          Last edited by Virtual; 11th February 2009, 01:17.

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post
            No, when i ping the other laptop using the IP address
            from the first laptop, it returned "no replies" three times and vise versa
            When you ping by hostname, does it resolve?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry i do not get what you meant by "ping by hostname". I mean it's a laptop - does it have a hostname?

Thank you in advance

Comment

It runs Windows XP, it has a hostname. Do you remember assigning names to each machine?

Not sure how being a laptop would affect a machine's networking capabilities, which are 99% down to software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post

Sorry i do not get what you meant by "ping by hostname". I mean it's a laptop - does it have a hostname?

Thank you in advance
                  type "IPCONFIG /ALL" in a command prompt. At the very top of the list of "bumph" you get in response, is the "Host Name". Go to another machine, and PING <hostname> - let us know the response. You might also want to post the results of the IPCONFIG command in here.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                    I take it you mean that the computers all connect to the router that connects to the internet? or is it a switch they connect to?

Is the Computer Browser service set to automatic and started?
                    Do check the brower service as well. If that isn't on you won't be visible on the network.

Comment

Working...
                    X