Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap device to test DHCP

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a small cheap device that I can carry around and connect to RJ45 network connections to ensure that the port is patched and I can pick up a DHCP address. Ideally the device will also display what address I am assigned.

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Cheap device to test DHCP

Hi,

Will something like this do: http://www.openxtra.co.uk/cable-test...prodpng65.html

Also
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

A simple laptop can also help.
      What is your budget?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

L4ndy, thanks that device is excellent and similar to those that I've found but it more than what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping to find a device for around 20 / $40 that will fit in the pocket and only pick up an IP and display it.

Other devices I've found are too complicated and therefore more expensive than what I plan to spend.

I currently use a laptop to do this but it's a pain carrying it around for such a small task.

Thanks
        Dave

Comment

I doubt you are going to find anything you are looking for with that price range (Give me a shout if you do though )
          Even decent normal testers without the extras you are looking for are are much more expensive.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I agree. Don't forget that the device will have to essentially be a computer running an IP stack up to the Transport layer at least, just to get an IP address. To get this address displayed then an entire IP stack is required. This sort of functionality is not something you can fit cheaply into a memory stick sized package.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by winniethepoohrulez View Post
              I currently use a laptop to do this but it's a pain carrying it around for such a small task.
              Try a Netbook? Much smaller than your average laptop.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X