Remote Desktop Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Issue

I have tried to connect to a computer outside of my domain. I have set up my router to port forwrd to the correct computer. But I still get the error that I can't connect to that computer. I have the user set up on the host computer still no luck.

Re: Remote Desktop Issue

Originally posted by ehumbertson View Post
    I have tried to connect to a computer outside of my domain. I have set up my router to port forwrd to the correct computer. But I still get the error that I can't connect to that computer. I have the user set up on the host computer still no luck.
    We need some more information to be able to help you. For instance:
    1. Is remote desktop enabled on the remote computer?
    2. What OS is the remote computer running?
    3. Does it have a software firewall running on it and if so have the proper exceptions been made?
    4. Does the account that you're using on the remote computer have a password?
    5. Does the remote account belong to the administrators group or has it been added to the accounts that are allowed to connect via RDP?
    6. Have you done a sniff test on the traffic to see what's happening?
    7. Does your firewall prevent outbound RDP?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

1. Remote Desktop is enabled
      2. The computers are both XP Pro
      3. The windows firewall is Running and expections made (just checked that 5 min ago)
      4. The account I am trying is in the administrator group and the password has been reset.
      5. Don't know how to do a sniff test.
      6. Not sure im my firewall is blocking it is a cisco never dealt with them before

Comment

Does remote desktop work internally to that machine first?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I will have that tested. When I try to connect from the outside it asks for the creditials to log in. I have two people in this office that really don't know anything about computers.

Comment

Remote to the computer internally works with my name and password.

Comment

When you get the username/password box when trying to connect to the remote computer, what happens if you re-enter the username and password? Could you try to connect to the remote computer from your office, but using a computer that is not a member of the domain? Since you get a username and password box when you try to connect to the computer from the office, it's as if the username and password is incorrect. The domain is part of the username, so maybe the RDP connection is passing the domain name as part of the username and causing obvious consternation on the part of the remote workgroup computer.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

That worked... It is the simple things in life that screw ya

Comment

Glad it worked out for ya'!
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                  X