why do I need router to share my internet connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do I need router to share my internet connection

why do I need router to share my internet connection , if already you able to share your connection without router from xp machine (set up a home or small office network)

we have satellite internet connection and thinking to bring router .

what is the benefits of using router to share the internet connection ?

Re: why do I need router to share my internet connection

You have two basic choices:
    ICS in Windows XP, which uses the PC as a router and means it must be switched on at all times for other users to get web access
    A separate router, which each PC connects to and replaces the PC with ICS installed

So a router means no need to keep particular PCs on, as well as providing other services like DHCP, VPN, port forwarding and NAT firewalling
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks a lot about your information i have other question

we have ftp server with public ip address connecting directly connected to internet , with router port forwarding I can publish it on internet even if I give private ip address , even if the server is switch off right ?
      Last edited by mcse_696; 20th January 2009, 10:05.

Comment

Probably -- but depends on the router you get
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I still do not know I ll take a look of linksys or dell

Comment

I have had very good results with Netgear's Prosafe series, but it depends on your exact requirements.

From your username, what is your MCSE -- windows 2000 or 2003?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I m studing mcse2003 I done MSCA exams ,working as system administrator in small organization for 1 months .

I have to change so many things, even they Dont have domain, (workgroup) with full control every users .

I would like to start with router to solve some problems like firewall and better way to share internet connection , give ftp server private ip address for better security and publish it on internet .

I ll take a look to Netgear's Prosafe series , and keep in touch with you

Comment

hi we bought new server 2003 to create DC I m confused about after we bring the router which server should I plug to router Server2003 or ftp server hope I could explaine my idea
                Last edited by mcse_696; 20th January 2009, 14:32.

Comment

Have you thought about how the network should look like?
                  How large is the current network?
                  what you do already have in place?
                  An ISA server might help also, but it depends if it's worth the money.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by mcse_696 View Post
                    thanks a lot about your information i have other question

we have ftp server with public ip address connecting directly connected to internet , with router port forwarding I can publish it on internet even if I give private ip address , even if the server is switch off right ?
                    Depends on various things, but I'm assuming you mean a server OTHER than the FTP server being off. However, servers are generally on 24/7.

Your best bet is to plan out the new network schema first.

Comment

Working...
                    X