Stop web streaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop web streaming

I run in to problem where becasue some of my users doing web streaming (radio, music, sports) the rest of the agency bandwith gets very little and internet becomes very slow.
    I tried to block some of the radio and web sites but every day my users find new ones to stream from.
    How can I block web streaming from the firewall so that no matter which site they go they can't stream.
    Thankls

Re: Stop web streaming

By giving us at least *some* information - so far we know absolutely nothing of your setup. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555375

Operating system of clients and servers?

What firewall?

Domain or workgroup?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

AFAIK you can't block a stream, but you can bandwidth limit them via ISA. Ultimately management should recognize the issue and deal with it as well.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Agreed, this is a policy issue more than a technical issue. However while I'm not familiar with the required process, I believe it is possible to block streaming media. That said, it could be the case that where I've seen it done, it's been done by limiting the bandwidth to 0.

Some streaming will be easier to block than others, for example those using RTSP or similar protocols.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          By giving us at least *some* information - so far we know absolutely nothing of your setup. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555375

Operating system of clients and servers?

What firewall?

Domain or workgroup?
          Sorry about it
          Server 2003, AD domain, Sonicwall TZ190 firewall. about 50 clients, WIN XP Pro

Comment

Moved to General Networking
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

isa server 2006 with some web filtering software (such as surf control or IWSS) would do exactly what you want, you can do all sorts of stuff like block streaming media, bandwidth prioritization and daily download limits however given the number of users probably not cost effective, you might be able to find a linux proxy server that could do a similar job though.....

Comment

Check out Untangle. I came across it recently on this forum. I've been checking it out on my home network and it seems nice enough for a free product. You can filter MIME types using the Web Filter and there are some streaming protocols you can block using the Potocol Control component.

There are some modules you need to pay for if you want additional functionality but for what you described it might do the trick.... and there's nothing to lose because it uses open source stuff for the most part.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

you should be able to block it using the Content filtering on your Sonicwall Appliance.

Is there specific web streaming you want to stop??

Comment

Working...
                  X