Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN problem - Works from some places, not from others

Hi all,

The LAN at work is 192.168.1.x and I have a VPN capable router to allow us in. It's an eSoft InstaGate EX2.

Now, the VPN does work. For example, I can connect to it and use Remote Desktop to get to anywhere I want. I can connect from home. My home LAN is 192.168.5.x.

I can also connect to the VPN from my parents' house. That LAN is 192.168.2.x.

But no one, including me, can access work LAN resources over the VPN if connecting from a LAN with a 192.168.1.x scheme. However, we can connect to the VPN itself! We just can't actually do anything (Remote Desktop, etc) afterwords...

I have to assume, then, that the issue stems from a 192.168.1.x network VPNing into another 192.168.1.x network... Because from 5.x and 2.x (and presumably anything else, although I've not tested that), it works fine!

Anyone have any ideas? It's very bothersome to me...

Thanks!

Chris

Re: VPN problem - Works from some places, not from others

Taking remote desktop as an example. Once you connect over VPN, what are you entering into the RDC client as the host to connect to? IP address, hostname or FQDN?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've tried IP and hostname, but never the FQDN. I'll try that, but at the moment I don't have access to a LAN using the 192.168.1.x scheme. Won't for a few days... Can you elaborate futrher as to your thinking? Thanks!

Comment

Before going further, can you make a simple drawing of your current network.
        It sounds like the firewall or VPN server has some issue how or where to route to.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
          Can you elaborate futrher as to your thinking?
          Well, at home I use 192.168.10 and at the office I use 192.168.18 - even so, I have to connect by IP address or FQDN. Connecting by hostname doesn't work.

Just hope you're not using a public tld for your AD domain
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Connecting at hostname could work if you add the wins addresses
            I've done it once where a customer didn't understand why he needed to enter more letters in the RDP session.
            However, IP should always work, and if that doesn't work then there is probably a routing issue.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Hi again Marcel,

I can make a cheap quickie drawing, sure. I will try to do it tonight and just scan it in as a JPG to post. It's just weird because the VPN does actually connect. Just can't do anything.

Will BBL with a pic!

Comment

It will not work, the from and to must always have different subnets.

You can do fancy routing but there is always the chance the your local and remote networks will both allocate (independently) the same IP. Now connect your VPN, and you got a mess.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                  It will not work, the from and to must always have different subnets.

You can do fancy routing but there is always the chance the your local and remote networks will both allocate (independently) the same IP. Now connect your VPN, and you got a mess.
                  Well, to that subnet end... When connected, the VPN adapter on the client machine always gets a SM of 255.255.255.255 and the SM of the LAN at work is 255.255.255.0.

Comment

And that's normal...
                    So again, please post a simple drawing.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

Comment

Sorry no drawing yet, Marcel. House is under construction and I'm surrounded by nightmares. But no work today so I'll get a drawing up asap.

Comment

OK, here's two files.

The DOC file shows an IPCONFIG /ALL from MY laptop connected to the VPN from my house. Please note that when connecting from a 192.168.1.x network, I have verified that all info is the same in the IPCONFIG (as far as the VPN connection).

The PDF file is a quick Visio drawing I threw together. Sorry it's so awful. If more info is needed, I'm happy to provide it. Thanks, guys!

Chris

PS. Marcel, I just checked your website again. It's been a while, but the added photos are outstanding! Damn nice work.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by WorldBuilder; 31st December 2008, 15:41.

Comment

Please could you post the result of ipconfig in some other format to a Word Document - a text file would be fine. Not everyone has Word or a compatible package installed, those that do may be reluctant to open a document from another computer due to the potential security risk involved.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            Please could you post the result of ipconfig in some other format to a Word Document - a text file would be fine. Not everyone has Word or a compatible package installed, those that do may be reluctant to open a document from another computer due to the potential security risk involved.
                            Sure thing. See attached.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You're giving the same IP range to your VPN clients as what your internal (work) lan got.
                              Change the range of your VPN clients to for example 192.168.254.x

(and a little bit of commercial )
                              Thanks for the compliments about my photographs.
                              If you see one you really like, I do sometimes sale prints... So if you're interested
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X