Share a network drive on WAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share a network drive on WAN

I have a network drive, that I purchased specially for offsite storage.
    I have it set up in the DMZ (for right now) and am able to connect to it remotely through an ip address in a browser.

My question is how can do I connect to it to copy files to it? I have second copy that can copy to remote FTP, but this isn't an ftp server rally. I'm kind of at a stopping point. Any one have any solution on how to handle this?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Share a network drive on WAN

What sort of drive is it - NAS? SAN? Does it have client software? What protocols does it support?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Share a network drive on WAN

Well, it is a Maxtor shared storage plus. It has a web interface, and I don't know if it supports anything. I believe it is dual 250hdds. I can share it and such, but I am trying to share it to the web via a firewall/router to use it as offsite storage.
      I was hoping someon had a similar equipment. I'm browsing through the mfg's forums and some others, but not seen to many use it in this fashion.
      I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
      Chris Robertson
      The Computer Doctor

Comment

How do you access it from your PC when it is connected to the LAN. Do you install client software? Do you access it by entering \\hostname in a Run dialog? Is there a drive letter mapped to it?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This box has a web share, but it appears you can access it only to download/offload files, but I can't seem to send files to it.
          The question you are asking, are the same ones I'm asking.

Let me rephrase this question then. Is there a network drive (requires no pc) that I can upload/copy files to from a remote location?

This drive can be mapped to a pc, but I was trying to avoid having a pc in the mix. Just a drive with network capability that can act as a server. This does half the job, but I'm unable to upload to it apparently. Sigh. Looks like I'm going to add a pc to it.
          Chris Robertson
          The Computer Doctor

Comment

The questions I'm asking are all questions that would be answered by the product documentation. Have you actually had it setup and running on your LAN before?

Edit: Found the documentation through Maxtor, and it doesn't appear that this device is suitable.
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 23rd December 2008, 15:49.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

At home I've a Synology diskstation DS-207+ but I'm not sure where you actually looking for.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

gforceindustries, Thanks for the reply and all your help. I realized about the second reply, a smilar unit has an upgrade feature that allows web sharing, but I interpret it as being able to upload to this unit. It isn't
                I looked through the documentation and it doesn't appear, but I was hoping it was a dumb drive that I could route to and act like a network server.
                Chris Robertson
                The Computer Doctor

Comment

Have you set Port Forwarding on the router to send the appropriate traffic to the Maxtor?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

biggles, yes, I actually put it in the DMZ for the time being but It defaults to the internal web GUI.

Dumber - Does that unit work for you? Do you have a link, price and how do you use it? Are you able to back up to it? Via what program? I am talking over the web and not internal, and witout any pc.
                    Chris Robertson
                    The Computer Doctor

Comment

I've been following this post and I'm confused. Maybe you could clarify:

Are you trying to connect to it through a web browser to upload and download files or are you trying to access it from Windows Explorer?

If you're trying to access it from Windows Explorer then you'll need to open the appropriate ports through the firewall, SMB, RPC, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
                        Dumber - Does that unit work for you? Do you have a link, price and how do you use it? Are you able to back up to it? Via what program? I am talking over the web and not internal, and witout any pc.
                        The website is over here where you can find all the info you need.
                        For me, it's a great products, but it doesn't mean it's for you too.
                        http://www.synology.com/enu/index.php

The DS-207+ is end of sale but you can find the next version over here (DS-209+):
                        http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS209+/spec.php
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                        X