Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic network question

Hello everyone!
    Can anyone give a rough estimate of how many servers are needed to manage 2500 station in the same building, not including exchange or sql or any kind of servers.

Thank you.

Re: Basic network question

errr depends on your business needs?
    I really don't know what you want to know.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi,

I presume when you say in the same buiding you are not planning to group them into different subnets.
      If that's the case the 2 Domain Controllers should be fine.
      You can also have a look at the ADsizer.exe tool.
      It's part of the 2003 RK download.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Two. Main DC and Secondary DC.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          errr depends on your business needs?
          I really don't know what you want to know.
          What he said. What exactly do you intend to do with these servers - "managing" computers is pretty vague.

Two DCs, both running DNS, WINS and DHCP.

If you want Exchange, install that on a member server, not a DC. Likewise for SQL Server, SharePoint, ISA, Terminal Services etc etc.

Get a pair of file servers, one located in your main building and one located in an adjacant building (if possible) and use DFS so that files are replicated to both servers. That way if your office burns down, you still have a server up and running. Naturally you are still going to be taking backups though.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Can't answer that without knowing what applications your users / business use etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmware-admin View Post
              Can't answer that without knowing what applications your users / business use etc.
              Any examples when an "application" should be taken into account when planning an AD structure?
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                Any examples when an "application" should be taken into account when planning an AD structure?
                There are a few AD aware apps out there that require high-availability access to a GC. I'd certainly consider an extra DC for something like that, particularly if it was a business critical app.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  There are a few AD aware apps out there that require high-availability access to a GC. I'd certainly consider an extra DC for something like that, particularly if it was a business critical app.
                  I am not disputing that but if you have a look at the answers It has already been suggested 2 DC and I think there are other more important factors to consider when planning an AD network, such as Physical and Logical structure, Size and capacity, Integrating critical services DNS, DHCP etc.

I presume far more information is required from the OP but if there was any businness critical app I am sure he would have mentioned it.

Ta
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Without an answer from the TS it's getting useless to discuss any further.
                    We cannot help him out if he isn't helping us out.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                      I am not disputing that but if you have a look at the answers It has already been suggested 2 DC and I think there are other more important factors to consider when planning an AD network, such as Physical and Logical structure, Size and capacity, Integrating critical services DNS, DHCP etc.

I presume far more information is required from the OP but if there was any businness critical app I am sure he would have mentioned it.

Ta

I presume

Comment

Working...
                      X