Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Printing

Hey Guys,
    Sittuation.. I have the wireless router with internet in the lounge room and a ethernet enabled printer in a bedroom. How would i go about making that printer wireless so everyone in the house can use it wirelessly??

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Wireless Printing

Either get a pair of access points and setup a wireless bridge, or get a wireless access point, such as the Netgear WGPS606. I would recommend against that particular model though - it's incredibly unreliable.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Errr Wireless router and a ethernet enabled printer?
      well connect the printer to the Wireless router?
      most wireless routers has at least one ethernet interface
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

He could do that, but as the printer is in a different room to the router I'm guessing that's why he specifically wants to connect to it wirelessly. And I'm guessing (since he's not specified the model of the printer) that it doesn't have built-in wireless capability.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Possible...
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yeah i dont want to have a cable running from the room to the router, too long and messy.

The printer is a HP Colour laserjet CP4005.

Comment

How about a wireless Jetdirect box? A bit costly but if money is not an issue then it could be an option..
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Colour laser in the bedroom???? Unless you are the only occupant this is not a good idea. Your really don't want someone to start printing when you are queuing a "job of your own".

Why not locate the printer closer to the router so you can run a patch lead to it. If the house/apartment is yours, run a point to where you want the printer located. Could be cheaper than a wireless hookup.

Laser printers also have a bit of a health risk. One is caused by the excess toner dust filling the air during printing though this issue is being adressed by manufacturers now. The second is the Ozone that is produced during a print run. If it is only a page or 2 no real problem. If a long run you have the chance of getting Ozone poisoning and I can speak from experience that it is very, very unpleasant. Think of your worst hangover and then multiply it by 3 or 4.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Colour laser in the bedroom???? Unless you are the only occupant this is not a good idea. Your really don't want someone to start printing when you are queuing a "job of your own".

Why not locate the printer closer to the router so you can run a patch lead to it. If the house/apartment is yours, run a point to where you want the printer located. Could be cheaper than a wireless hookup.

Laser printers also have a bit of a health risk. One is caused by the excess toner dust filling the air during printing though this issue is being adressed by manufacturers now. The second is the Ozone that is produced during a print run. If it is only a page or 2 no real problem. If a long run you have the chance of getting Ozone poisoning and I can speak from experience that it is very, very unpleasant. Think of your worst hangover and then multiply it by 3 or 4.
                  Yeah the printer has to be there cause the bedroom is accually and office/Study for my mum. Having the printer in the lounge room where the router is isn't really an option, haha.

Comment

If it is going to stay there, run a cable through the walls. Actually, run 2, just to be sure to be sure.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      If it is going to stay there, run a cable through the walls. Actually, run 2, just to be sure to be sure.
                      Agreed. Cheaper, more reliable, more secure (although if you already have wireless in, then not so much) and offers faster speeds if you ever want to do more with your network.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                      X