Looking for VPN solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for VPN solution

We have a 6-location non-profit agency that are all in different towns with the City of Owen Sound being the head office. Owen Sound also has an Exchange mail server.

Five of the locations, including Owen Sound, are about to be networked together using DSL and VLAN provided by the Provincial government in Ontario. The 6th location (Kincardine) cannot be a part of this VLAN because the telephone lines are owned by a private company. It was suggested that we make our own connection.

Can we introduce a Firebox® X Edge e-Series VPN appliance on the same local network in Owen Sound that already has the government-supplied CheckPoint appliance? This would mean two routers on the same LAN, but the plan is to have the Firebox® X Edge e-Series make a permanent tunnel to a second Firebox® X Edge e-Series installed at the Kincardine location.

The location in Kincardine would keep their existing ISP but that the benefit of a permanent VPN tunnel to Owen Sound so they can have network connectivity with the remaining locations.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Looking for VPN solution

Why not create a VPN between the CheckPoint and the Firebox? I know with the Firebox you can setup P2P VPN using pretty much any protocol available so it should be compatible with the CheckPoint device.

I haven't worked with CheckPoint but I expect it to be able to handle a P2P VPN.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The Provincial Government owns the CheckPoints and provides the DSL services. They will aslo be provising the VLAN.

For security reasons, they will not allow access to the Checkpoint and because the Kincardine service is not theirs, they will not provide a connection to it. From a security standpoint, it would defeat their purpose providing a network connection to a non-secure location.

Thanks,
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        I haven't worked with CheckPoint but I expect it to be able to handle a P2P VPN.
        And they can do that very very well.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
          The Provincial Government owns the CheckPoints and provides the DSL services. They will aslo be provising the VLAN.

For security reasons, they will not allow access to the Checkpoint and because the Kincardine service is not theirs, they will not provide a connection to it. From a security standpoint, it would defeat their purpose providing a network connection to a non-secure location.
          So will they open ports for you? If not then I don't see how you can setup a VPN if it goes through their firewall.

If you have another connection to the Internet then it is possible.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X