Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching from DSL to T1 need router recommendation...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from DSL to T1 need router recommendation...

I have a friend who has a small 3-4 computer network that is switching from a DSL Internet connection to a bundled VOIP type solution that will break the Internet off into a T1 interface. Seeing as this is a tiny company they will not need anything extravagant; just the basics.

I honestly don't know what is out there that would be suited for such a small install. I deal with larger environments and am just clueless. Anyone have a suggestion?

Re: Switching from DSL to T1 need router recommendation...

Moved to General Networking
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Basic workhorse, Linksys RV042.

.....and.......no affiliation.........
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I would contact the T1 vendor to see if they could recommend something.

I would probably look at a Cisco 800 series router if it was me.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Both of our T1's from different ISP's have 10/100 ethernet handoff's so we could of picked from any ethernet to ethernet router. A consultant that was here before me didn't do the research and recommened a Cisco 1841 with the Serial CSU/DSU WIC card. We did not need the Wic card and wasted about $500!

I have used the Cisco 851's both wireless and non-wireless. They are very reliable, and 1 year of Smart net was $33. Which came in handy when I had a little trouble with the site to site VPN config

P.S. For Sale 1 never used CSU/DSU WIC card!!!
          Last edited by stylus277; 11th November 2008, 19:12.

Comment

If we're talking about just 3-4 computers and no special needs then I agree with Loir. A SOHO router will be fine and I've never had trouble with the Linksys routers.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X