Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A router behind a router

Hi mates,

I wonder if someone encountered with this kind of problem.

The network structure is:
    A dsl router Rotal RTA1025W is facing the web with 10.0.0.138
    On 1 of its lan port's connected a Linksys wrt54gl configured with static ip for wan interface - 10.0.0.137 - dg - 10.0.0.138 - dns 10.0.0.138
    All network devices are connected to the Linksys with 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254 and go smoothly to web.
    I need to go inside from web to 1 of the devices meaning that I need to port forward through Rotal to Linksys and to the network device.
    Is it possible at all ?
    crocus

Re: A router behind a router

You could try a forwarding rule on the Rotal that forwards to the Linksys, which then forwards to the machine. I don't know if it would work, but you could try it.

Comment

Yes its possible. Nothing wrong with multiple routers or NATs.

Comment

Tested just now (I have a crapware ADSL router I use as a modem, then a decent ethernet router behind that) and it works fine, at least on my kit.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Tested just now (I have a crapware ADSL router I use as a modem, then a decent ethernet router behind that) and it works fine, at least on my kit.
          Thanks for replying, but what about the ip domain and subnet mask, as I wrote the Rotal is in a different ip domain then the linksys, would it work eventhough ?
          crocus

Comment

Every router has two sides -- an inside and an outside

Your Linksys is:
            Inside: 192.168.2.x network
            Outside: 10.0.0.x network

Rotal:
            Inside: 10.0.0x network
            Outside: Public IP address assigned by ISP

As long as the Rotal forwards everything to the linksys, it should all work fine
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Make sure both routers use a different subnet for their DHCP server. While it is possible to make it work if they both use the same, it can also lead to... oddness. Plus with the setup you want, you can manage the outer router from a machine on the inner LAN, which you would not be able to do if they both shared the same subnet.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Every router has two sides -- an inside and an outside

Your Linksys is:
                Inside: 192.168.2.x network
                Outside: 10.0.0.x network

Rotal:
                Inside: 10.0.0x network
                Outside: Public IP address assigned by ISP

As long as the Rotal forwards everything to the linksys, it should all work fine
                Thanks Ossian,
                Meaning that I need to portforward from Rotal to Linksys 10.0.0.137 and do the same on Linksys to the network device 192.168.x and it should work fine ?
                crocus

Comment

Yup!
                  But forward EVERYTHING from the Rotal to the Linksys to save you having to do 2 forwards each time you open a new port
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Yup!
                    But forward EVERYTHING from the Rotal to the Linksys to save you having to do 2 forwards each time you open a new port
                    So I will put 10.0.0.137 on dmz, correct ?
                    crocus

Comment

Yes. Note that this assumes you have confidence in the Linksys' firewall, as the firewall in the Rotal will not be in effect.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks mates, I will let you know for consequences.
                        crocus

Comment

Good point, gforce!
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

They don't call me Terminator of the Cable for nothing

Told the new general manager on his first day that my friends call me ^ and fair play to him, he's called me Terminator ever since.

Ok, so I need to get out more
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

tbh, I would have more confidence in a router I am in control of, rather than an external one, I presume supplied and configured by an ISP, where I may not have full control.

Of course that may not be the scenario here, but is the most likely reason for multiple layers of routers.
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X