Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting two networks to the internet (was: can i make it?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two networks to the internet (was: can i make it?)

i have two network: the first with win 2003 server and 25 stations with win xp pro, the second with red hat linux and 5 stations with windows xp pro. i want to go out on internet with all stations. my ISP give one ADSL connection 1.5/mb/s. i have to set up one router but i don't know how. can you give to me a recommmendation for router, how to configure router or some other solution?
    thanks

Re: Connecting two networks to the internet (was: can i make it?)

Assuming the two networks are on different private IP ranges you will need to route between the two internal networks and the internet. This is more than most cheep ADSL/cable routers can achieve. If you have an old box with three network ports (PCI Network Cards are about 5 a pop so all you really need is 3 PCI slots and 15) look at the following

http://www.pfsense.com/
    http://www.smoothwall.org/

Both pfsense and smoothwall express will achieve all that you need and more. If you are unclear on terms such as routing etc you are going to have to do some reading but the docs for both products should cover it. I have used both and they are great. If the docs are too much then think about getting paid support. The software is free the support is what you pay for (if you need it), it is a bargin when compared with buying a big name "overkill" box.

Robert
    Last edited by RMortimer; 10th October 2008, 10:54. Reason: English

Comment

Re: Connecting two networks to the internet (was: can i make it?)

Any particular reason for keeping the two separate networks on different subnets, rather than merging them all into one network?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X