IP Address Management (IPAM)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Address Management (IPAM)

I'm looking for some suggestions on a method to manage our IP address space.

I need some sort of web-based tool that'll allow me to do MAC, IP (I want it to tell me if the address is reserved, set statically, or DHCP), service, and OS discovery. I'd also like it to tell me what switch and switch port the device is connected to and have a few customer fields so I can enter things like the PC model.

If there are any free tools out there that do all of this...SWEET, but I recognize that some money may need to be spent.

I've been looking at a solution from Infoblox but I really have no way of knowing if it's any good.

What do you use? Thanks.

Re: IP Address Management (IPAM)

How many devices/IPs are we talking about?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Um...many. We've got about 1k users, printers, a bunch of servers (of various OS's), and the switches/routers to connect it all).

Comment

And how many are DHCP enabled?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Many. That's something I'd like to be able to measure with the IPAM tool.

Maybe re-phrasing the question would help. Let's start with, "How do you manage your network? How do you track statically mapped and DHCP reserved client assignments?"

Comment

Originally posted by mhashemi View Post
            Maybe re-phrasing the question would help. Let's start with, "How do you manage your network? How do you track statically mapped and DHCP reserved client assignments?"
            Uhmm... I'm supposed to be doing that? Uh-oh...

Seriously, I just log into the DHCP server to see what reservations there are and use a document to keep track of statically assigned IPs. I'm in the process of implementing a NMS (Maybe Nagios, maybe OpenNMS... it remains to be seen) that may help with some of that though. However, notice a key word in one of my last sentences: "I log into the DHCP server." Obviously, the networks I deal with aren't quite to the size of yours so your mileage may vary. The ability to detect which switch and switch port a device is connected to seems to be quite granular. I've never heard of a product outside of a switch's own interface software that could do that for you. If you find one, let me know because I'd be interested.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

We use Nagios, but it doesn't do what I'm looking to do.

Netdisco is a perfectly good tool. You give it an IP or a MAC and it will tell you what switch and switch port that NIC is connected to.

Comment

SolarWinds Engineer's Tool Set has some pretty nice tools for network discovery/management. You can download a demo from their web site:

http://www.solarwinds.com/downloads/

Comment

I'd suggest URL Removed by MOD. It is specifically designed for the type of work you describe. It should scale no problem to that size of an environment. Its a fairly new project so there is much more work to go. Hope that helps. Thanks.
                  Last edited by JeremyW; 10th November 2008, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
                  X