Cannot see router on LAN at all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot see router on LAN at all

Hi all, I've been using a Linux box as my home router for many, many years now, but am about to replace it with an old Linksys WRT54G router (Version 2). I've been using the 192.168.5.x IP scheme all these years and no matter what I do when I plug the WRT into the LAN, I cannot even see it anywhere on the network... Mind you, I am not ready to plug it into the modem yet... I want to turn off the wireless, etc, before doing anything. I've reset it and tried to go to 192.168.1.1 (the default from the factory). Doesn't exist. Can't find it on any network scanner, either.

Help, please?

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Cannot see router on LAN at all

Some questions:
    • Just to make sure we're on the same page, when you try to go to 192.168.1.1 does the computer that you're trying from have a 192.168.1.x IP address and /24 subnet mask?
    • Furthermore, is the computer plugged straight into the WRT54G and nothing else?
    • Are you sure the router is resetting? Did you hold the reset button in for 30 seconds? Better make it 60 just to be safe.
    • Have you ever used it before? Are you sure that it's not a lemon?
    • If you've used it before, what was the IP address and subnet scheme that it used to have?
    • Have you tried other common IP addresses like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.168.1, 192.168.0.254, 192.168.2.254, or 192.168.168.254. I know LinkSys says that the default IP address is 192.168.1.1, but maybe you got an early model or something that uses a non standard IP. Stranger things have happened.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      Some questions:

[*]Just to make sure we're on the same page, when you try to go to 192.168.1.1 does the computer that you're trying from have a 192.168.1.x IP address and /24 subnet mask?[*]Furthermore, is the computer plugged straight into the WRT54G and nothing else?
      Nope, the PC has an IP address of 192.168.5.x and a 24 bit mask. And the router is plugged into the LAN switch, not the PC directly. Should I just try to plug the PC directly into the router with a crossover cable?
      [*]Are you sure the router is resetting? Did you hold the reset button in for 30 seconds? Better make it 60 just to be safe. [*]Have you ever used it before? Are you sure that it's not a lemon?
      Yeah, it's resetting. I already did the 60 second march (just to be on the safe side) [*]If you've used it before, what was the IP address and subnet scheme that it used to have? And it was used before, so I doubt it's a lemon.
      [*]Have you tried other common IP addresses like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.168.1, 192.168.0.254, 192.168.2.254, or 192.168.168.254. I know LinkSys says that the default IP address is 192.168.1.1, but maybe you got an early model or something that uses a non standard IP. Stranger things have happened.
      Yep, I've tried all those addresses. And like I said, I don't even see it as a "foreign" address on the network scanner when scanning from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.5.255

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
        Nope, the PC has an IP address of 192.168.5.x and a 24 bit mask. And the router is plugged into the LAN switch, not the PC directly. Should I just try to plug the PC directly into the router with a crossover cable?

Ah ha! Methinks a subnetting concept has been violated. Unless you've set up the proper routing tables on both the Linux router and the WRT54G, there's no way that traffic to an IP on a different subnet could get to the WRT or if it did, it wouldn't be able to get back to you. What you must do is plug the computer straight into the WRT, give the computer a 192.168.1.x /24 address (or just get a DHCP address from the WRT if it's giving them out), and then access its administrative page. No need for a crossover cable. Just plug the network cable into the switch ports of the WRT and you'll be all set.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X