Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP conflict disaster

Hello frnds,
    These days in our company we are facing a big disaster that is Ip conflict becoz we have not made a systematic arrangements of IPs So i would like to know with which pc there is conflict Our network is big so it is not possible to go each and every pc and locate the problem Is there any tool or utility to overcome this disaster Any help would be appreciated

Re: IP conflict disaster

What subnets are you using?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Download a free MAC address scanner and scan your subnet. This should list the mac address, ip address, and name of each computer which should help you track things down.

Comment

Delete the IP out of DHCP, and then the next time the PC reboots it should pick up a new IP, unless someone has put in a static...

Comment

Originally posted by ekrengel View Post
          Delete the IP out of DHCP, and then the next time the PC reboots it should pick up a new IP, unless someone has put in a static...
          You'd think this was true, wouldn't you? However somewhere along the line it stores the IP that was last used for that client, and generally it gets the same one. The only way to be CERTAIN it won't, is to make a reservation for the old IP on a dummy MAC address; or the MAC address of a different machine. That way the IP address isn't available and therefore won't be allocated to the "difficult" client.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Ah yes, that is the best way. I do recall having to do that before as well.

Comment

Frnds we dont have dhcp server in our network Ip are assigned statically Some times our main server goes down becoz of this IP conflict and we are unable to identify with which PC there is a conflict Plz suggest me some tools

Comment

There's only ONE tool worth using in this instance... and that's DHCP. Static IPs are utterly useless for a network bigger than 5 PCs.

The only way you're going to find this guy is to physically visit all your PCs, one by one, and check its IP address. It's the only reason that DHCP was invented.

Anyway - what is a tool going to tell you? All it could tell you is that there are two computers with the same IP address; and you know that already! It can't tell you where they are physically, or any information about them - it can't talk to them because they both have the same IP address!!!

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

we dont want to deploy dhcp server in our network Our network is very big and it has the following subnets :

Comment

p.s. You only have to visit each of the PCs in the subnet where the conflicted IP is... For instance if the one you know about is 10.11.12.13/24, then you only have to visit the PCs on the 10.11.12.0/24 subnet. Surely this is a fairly localised search??

The only problem will come if you're using something mad like a single subnet and an 8-bit subnet mask... and you have 131,000 hosts. But I don't think an Ethernet network would even WORK with a broadcast domain that big.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by samirshaikh12 View Post
                      we dont want to deploy dhcp server in our network Our network is very big and it has the following subnets :
                      What size subnet mask? Oh, and what's the IP address of the conflict?

Tom

Comment

The subnet mask is 24 bit

Comment

the conflicting ip is 10.1.1.18

Comment

Originally posted by samirshaikh12 View Post
                            The subnet mask is 24 bit
                            OK, you only have to visit a maximum of 253 PCs or devices - all of those on the 10.1.1.0 subnet.

Oh - and by the way - this is NOT a "very big" network. The UK portion of our network is only "fair-sized" with 200 subnets spread across 120 sites spanning the entire United Kingdom. Let's get a sense of perspective.

You say you don't want to deploy DHCP - I believe that to be the wrong decision, and if you had hired me as a consultant that would be my last word as I walked away from the job.
                            Last edited by Stonelaughter; 22nd September 2008, 22:26.

Tom

Comment

I'm sure it's the wrong decision for not deploying DHCP.
                              There must be a really really good reason why you won't want to deploy DHCP.
                              I'm really curious why on earth you don't want to deploy DHCP.

Well, the only think I can say, good luck with visiting the 253 clients.
                              Ps, It might be worth to look into the DNS database. If you lucky the client has registered itself with the duplicate address.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X