Internet/network traffic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet/network traffic

I need a program that monitors network traffic (bandwidth used) and internet connection speed.

I sometimes get lag on some computers, but show 1M upload and 800k download. I have another 1M dedicated to the VOIP lines.

My firewall is very stable and shows attacks and such. I switched from smoothwall, which became difficult to manage, and only I can remote in and manage, to a simple web based managed linksys firewall. Easy to configure and manage. The smoothwall did have some of these features, but I don't want to use that, and am required to make the system easy to manage, and transferrable to another IT person. No job security in other words.

I've ran across a few program that do this, and have some sucess, but which is better program.
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Internet/network traffic

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
    I need a program that monitors network traffic (bandwidth used) and internet connection speed.

I sometimes get lag on some computers, but show 1M upload and 800k download. I have another 1M dedicated to the VOIP lines.

My firewall is very stable and shows attacks and such. I switched from smoothwall, which became difficult to manage, and only I can remote in and manage, to a simple web based managed linksys firewall. Easy to configure and manage. The smoothwall did have some of these features, but I don't want to use that, and am required to make the system easy to manage, and transferrable to another IT person. No job security in other words.

I've ran across a few program that do this, and have some sucess, but which is better program.
    First, it would be helpful to know exactly what tools you have already tried and why they weren't satisfactory to you.

A network monitor can only give you as much information as the network devices are designed to give. So, it all depends on what the devices in question can give you. SNMP is virtually universally supported so check your devices to see if the have SNMP MIBs. Then it's a simple matter of choosing one of the bazillions of SNMP collectors out there. If you have Cisco switches and other devices, you could go with a NetFlow tool. Other switches might use SFlow. All switches, routers, and gateways that cost more than $50 should support SNMP to some degree.

Here's some possibilities to get you interested:
    SFlow collectors
    Netflow collectors
    Cacti
    Smokeping (Latency Visualization)
    SNMP Tools (This link leads to an unbelievable ginormous list of SNMP tools)

Oh, and try to resist the urge to breed "job security" through "information obscurity". You'll may get a reputation for being an information hoarder which is far worse than being let go for a cheaper worker but keeping your reputation for freely sharing your information. Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
    X