Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLAN Newbie question

Hello,

With a vlans, can I have 2 vlans, the first on will be the "default" and the second one the contain "restricted" resorces.

Then choose per port if it is part of vlan 1 only, both, or vlan 2 only?

The goal would be if a certain port is only in VLAN 2 then workstations that are in VLan2 only, or both vlans are the only ones that can see/use that resource.

All hardware will be on the same subnet. I am trying to accomplish security only not so much speed/efficiency.

Thanks

Re: VLAN Newbie question

VLANs are not what you're looking for.

Over simplified definition: VLANs are a logical separation of networks on one or more switches.

Depending on the resources there are a lot of options you have. One would be to another subnet, put a firewall between them, and control access by using the firewall. But there's probably 100 more ways of controlling access and I can't help until you provide more information about your setup.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

A switch port cannot be, in the same time, in 2 different VLANs. As Jeremy said, give us more details to try to find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by cielo View Post
        A switch port cannot be, in the same time, in 2 different VLANs.
        Actually a port can be a member of multiple VLANs but that still doesn't help with the security that the OP wants.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          Actually a port can be a member of multiple VLANs but that still doesn't help with the security that the OP wants.
          You talk about an access port? I'm missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by cielo View Post
            You talk about an access port? I'm missing something?
            I fear we're getting off topic but a port can be a member of multiple VLANs in trunk mode of course.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The primary resouce we want to "hide" is a server for the finance department. I am using active directory for permissions and security to block access to this server, but we would like it to disappear so that most people don't even know it exists.

There are only 8 users that we want to have access to this server.

We are a plain old 2003 active directory domain network, all of our servers are 2003 some are R2, 99% of workstations are XP.

We have 2 domain controllers, the switches I am using are Netgear "Smart" switches.

Comment

Working...
              X