Network Topology Mapper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Topology Mapper

Is there recommended auto scan network topology creator out there? Most of our gears are Cisco, HP Pro-curve switches and Windows machines. Solarwinds Lan Surveyor is a good option. Anything similar or better out there?

Re: Network Topology Mapper

Originally posted by salvi View Post
    Is there recommended auto scan network topology creator out there? Most of our gears are Cisco, HP Pro-curve switches and Windows machines. Solarwinds Lan Surveyor is a good option. Anything similar or better out there?
    Oh dear. The topic of network mapping/monitoring software is so broad and deep that I don't believe anyone could thoroughly answer your question without sawing through a few keyboards. Instead, I'll point you to just two offerings:

The first possibility that I am aware of is a commercial product;What's Up Gold. I've heard plenty of good things about it. a freeware product that comes to my mind is MicroTik's The Dude. I've used it and it has quite a bit of potential, but the interface is a bit clunky. Version 3 is soon to be released so maybe that will be better.

Some possibilities that I snagged from a simple Google search: Rocket Software's NetCure. There is a free version of it to tinker with. NeteXpose is another possibility as is DopplerVUE.

Of course, more info would help us all to answer your question better.
    • Do you want more than just a topology mapper? Viz. monitor bandwidth, latecny, services, hosts, security threats, etc. etc.
    • What is the size of this environment?
    • Are you only interested in commercial products or would FOSS offerings be acceptable?

Whatever your choice, let us know what happens.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: Network Topology Mapper

Thanks man for your reply.

This is a network of around 1500 Nodes, 100 Routers and 200 Switches. Any commercial reputable solution would be the first choice. No, we don't need NMS activities as we have already deployed those. All we need a thorough network topology mapper which will help reducing the amount of time spent in topology drawing.

Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
      X