Simple IP adress question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple IP adress question...

OK - we are re-ip'ing our network in the near future. Our software provider wants us to us 192.168.1.*. We are nearing 230 devices on our network already and I'd like to have more ip's available for future growth.
    Should I use the 192.168.1.*? Will that only give me 254 ip's to use?

Re: Simple IP adress question...

No.
    Not sure I could make it simpler and your question was a bit leading anyway!

There is no reason for your "software provider" to determine your IP range.
    Depending on how you want to organise things and how big you think you will grow I would make your own decision and tell them what it will be.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

what ip class can i use that will give me more than 254 addresses?

Comment

Had to smile at that question

There are a few shall we say.
        Easiest answer woudl be something easy like 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 which is useable addresses from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.254.253 so plenty to choose from.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

...or you could have 192.168.x.0/24 - i.e. multiple subnets and use routers to connect them together.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Personally, I like to use the 10.x.x.x range, as it's private and gives you A LOT of room to grow.

Agreed, the software provider shouldn't determine your IP range. Can you clarify why they said this? Also, what's your current IP scheme?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I also like to use 10.x.x.x with a 16 bit subnet mask. This gives you plenty of room for hosts and multiple subnets. It also lets you use one octet to designate the device type:

Subnet 1
              10.1.1.x = routers
              10.1.2.x = switches
              10.1.3.x = servers

Subnet 2
              10.2.1.x = routers
              10.2.2.x = switches
              10.2.3.x = servers

etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
                OK - we are re-ip'ing our network in the near future. Our software provider wants us to us 192.168.1.*. We are nearing 230 devices on our network already and I'd like to have more ip's available for future growth.
                Should I use the 192.168.1.*? Will that only give me 254 ip's to use?
                Do you have a VPN? Consider that you will have trouble with using a common subnet number and mask combination. If the home user has the same subnet number and mask then a VPN will not work from that user's home to the work network. Choose something that is highly unlikely for your average home user to have as a subnet, like 10.x.x.x or the 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x range.

Oh! And tell your software provider that they need to not depend on their customer's willingness to comply with kludgey solutions to pacify their fragile code.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

LOL. Good one Nonapeptide. Never let an outside resource tell you what to do with your IT environment. Chances are they know half of what you know and get paid twice as much.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    I also like to use 10.x.x.x with a 16 bit subnet mask. This gives you plenty of room for hosts and multiple subnets. It also lets you use one octet to designate the device type:

Subnet 1
                    10.1.1.x = routers
                    10.1.2.x = switches
                    10.1.3.x = servers

Subnet 2
                    10.2.1.x = routers
                    10.2.2.x = switches
                    10.2.3.x = servers

etc., etc.

So if you're network extend, and because of the large subnet you can add as much hosts as you like (till 65534 hosts). So if the nework grows and grows you create a very large broadcast domain. In the end, your network will slow down due to all broadcasting.

Personally I would subnet it in smaller portions and use VLANS.
                    Setup routing between them with layer 3 switches or a router on a stick (lollypop).
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

But in reality you'll have this:

1. Very little physical layer broadcasting because the switches will have built up their MAC address tables.

2. Very little network layer broadcasting because you'll have proper name resolution methods in place.

3. The actual possibility that you'll have thousands of hosts on the same subnet is very small in this case.

My suggestion is just that, a suggestion. Configure your network to suit your own needs and desires. I'm only telling you what I like to do. All of this, of course, is meant in the interest of being helpful. Good luck in your endeavor.

Comment

Don't see it as an attack
                        Everyone has it's personal flavor, but personally I would make subnets not that large
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Thanks Dumber. I knew I could count on you to be the voice of reason and calm. I'm a hot head. LOL

Comment

LOL.
                            Well I'm used to hot heads It's a part of my job
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by hfctpl View Post
                              what ip class can i use that will give me more than 254 addresses?
                              If the 192.168.1.x range is required because the software has been hard coded with that range then you really are screwed if you have more than 254 devices on your network. Even changing the Mask will not help because a 23 bit Mask would give you an IP range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.254 (512 IPs).

Perhaps you should get back to the software guys and ask then why they require that range.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X