Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vlans setup

Hi,

I am new to vlans so looking for some basic do's and donts with windows Active Directory and cisco 2950's switches

1 Windows AD Server (how to l setup for VLAN??) Can l use a internal IP ? or do l create a VLAN on the NIC?
    2 Cisco Switch Do l create a VLAN and give it the same IP subnet as the IP of my Server in part 1?

I may be going off on a tangent by l thought if l just use a VLAN on the Switch that l could give the server an IP on the same subnet/address range and that would do it

Any pointers much appreciated

the slattman

Re: vlans setup

wel please read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

For the Windows side I can tell you that Windows is not aware of VLANS - they are purely a Networking thing. You plug a server into a network port, and you give the server an IP address which is free on the network which that port is configured on. Hey presto - server talks to network.

VLANS (as far as my limited understanding of them takes me) are a way of allowing one switch to have ports for more than one network without having a router built in to it. So - port 11 on a switch might be on the 192.168.x.x/16 network, and port 12 on the same switch might be configured on the 10.23.4.x/24 network. To achieve this you would need to configure VLANS on your switches and routers. Windows wouldn't care as long as the server and the switch port are given the right IP addresses.

There still needs to be a router somehwhere, somehow, for the networks to talk to each other. This, as far as I'm concerned, is the "Witchcraft" bit. A network to me is a cloud with switches at its edge and routers just inside the edge I'm afraid!!

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

VLAN are created for two reasons :
        1. security
        2. to brake up an broadcast domain

Security : two computers in different vlans cannot communicate unless you use a layer 3 device (switch layer 3 or a router)
        Broadcast domain : for 2 vlans to communicate you need a layer 3 device which, by default, do not forwarding broadcast frames so the two vlans are different broadcast domains.

Comment

Working...
        X