static dhcp leases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• static dhcp leases

Hi all, its been a while since i have been on these forums!

One of our systems requires all its clients to have a static IP.

Up until now static dhcp leases are given out from a windows sbs server that have an entry matching each clients MAC address.

When we got some work done to our network we were advised to changed this immediately and if using static addresses "they must be hard coded on the client"

So whats the point of a static lease?

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Re: static dhcp leases

I would say it is easier to leave clients on DHCP and then they keep getting the same address if you have static leases.
    Obviously if someone accidentally puts another DHCP server on the network it could pickup one from that but I don't see why you "must" statically set them.
    Having said that for one client I would be tempted to set it statically.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thanks AndyJG247 !

I would agree with you, it troubles me that these guys were saying this way was completely wrong.

But any client requesting an address would not be given one assigned to a static lease as the MAC would not correspond.

Comment

For that server yes. I meant a rogue dhcp server that responded quicker than the server.
        There is no problem with setting up a machine with a static address (servers for example) but also nothing wrong with using static leases either. You can always put in a reservation and set it statically as well so it doesn't get taken. Both ways work.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thanks again

Comment

I agree, ignore their 'advice'. Doing that would mean pretty much a visit to each PC. DHCP exists for the sole reason of getting around this issue.
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

thanks SK, just needed a bit of reassurance we were not doing anything terribly wrong!

Comment

Working...
              X