Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gateway-to-gateway vpn

greetings!

just want to ask for an assistance regarding our qvm330 (router vpn) and qvm100 (router vpn)

qvm300 is located in the main campus
    qvm100 is located in the annex campus

in the main campus:
    dsl -> qvm330 -> swith -> pcs
    qvm330 ip is 192.168.0.1
    server1 (windows 2003 - dc) - 192.168.0.200
    server2 (windows 2003 - portal) - 192.168.0.203
    clients (xp pro) - 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100

in the annex campus:
    dsl -> qvm100 -> swith -> pcs
    qvm100 ip is 192.168.1.1 (dhcp server)
    clients (xp pro)

some notes:
    i had configured gateway-to-gateway vpn between the 2 qvm devices
    xp from the annex can ping qvm330 (192.168.0.1)
    xp from the main can ping qvm100 (192.168.1.1)

questions:
    1. how can the xp annex clients be able to connect to the server1&2 in the main campus? it gives rto if a client from annex pings the 2 servers.

2. how can the annex clients be able to connect to the main campus dc so that they can be authenticated as a valid user.

thanks in advance.

Re: gateway-to-gateway vpn

I think what you would have to do is find a way to setup static routes on your routers. That should be a start.

Note: This should probably be moved into the General Networking forum.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Put the primary DNS of one of the XP machines at the remote campus as 192.168.0.200.

When you say it times out. If you trying to pinging the hostname then it will time out unless you add the DNS I suggested. If it times out when you ping 192.168.0.200 then you have a problem with the routers config. This however will create lots of data going over the VPN.

What is the data your trying to access if I may ask?

Personal recommendations is to have another DC at the remote site.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

i did set-up a windows 2003 server on the annex - 192.168.1.100

problem is i cant ping/connect to the win servers.

some notes:
        i can ping/connect the xp machines on the annex from main
        i can ping/connec to the xp machines on tha main from annex

that means that my gateway-to-gateway vpn is working. right?

question now is on the windows 2003 servers on both campuses. do i need to open some ports? on the routers and servers? servers are using the default windows 2003 firewall.

Comment

I tend to turn off Windows firewall on all devices when they are behind NAT routers and closed in my domain.

Regarding the "some notes" part. Your basically saying that you can ping devices from either side of the VPN? If so then all appears to be working and you should look at your Windows 2003 firewall. However if machines are workign ok to this server in the main offices then I would suggest Windows Firewall is not the problem.

Before you look at installing the second server you need to make sure the network is working as needed otherwise you will cause yourself headaches later on.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

got the connections working on both servers. i was the service pack on server 1.

my question now is:

both sites can now ping using ip address each other (server & clients)
            but i cant ping using computer names

what dns entry i have to add or change?
            do i need to install dns on the annex server? what settings do i need to add? ty

Comment

I guess you didnt try what I said then.

Put 192.168.0.200 as the DNS on one of the computers at the remote end. You should find you can then ping by hostnames.

To authenticate these remote PC's though you will still ideally need a DC at the remote office end. To do this you will need to first take the new server to the current office and install AD, then configure Sites and Services ready for the new site.

Comment

done.

all working fine for now. thanks for all the help... i'm learning

Comment

Working...
                X