Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBIOS vs. FQDN performance

Hi,
    we have installed Vignette Content management system, which is running on Tomcat Apache, all on Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2.
    The application uses excessive Network share access to a share on our EMC storage and had performance issues. After taking several network traces I recommended to use the FQDN of the storage' CIFS server instead of the NetBIOS name only,
    \\<servernname.domain.suffix> instead of \\<servername>. This solved the problem, but I have difficulties to explain the subject.
    I told them about the broadcast, etc. and about DNS, but somehow I do not find the right explanation.

Someone can help?

Re: NetBIOS vs. FQDN performance

Are you explaining to tech people or users? Obviously each one is going to need a different approach.

If user then it is easy. KISS.
    Q. Why do we do it this way?
    A. Because that is how it works the best.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am talking to tech people and KISS is not good enough.

Comment

If KISS won't work, how about JFDI ?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please! I thought I'll find a different level here.

Comment

OK, how about telling them that, since its running on a web server, it will try to use internet style methods to obtain server addresses, so a DNS (FQDN) style address will be resolved before a WINS (NetBIOS) style address.
            So please use the FQDN.

btw, this is all a reasonable guess rather than fact, but dont tell them that!

Personally, I prefer JFDI
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Netbios is using broadcast, so the client shouts over the network to find the matching ipaddress.
              So the client have to wait until the machine which has the ipaddress will respond. If the machine (server) is a bit busy the responses can take some while.

With the fQDN he knows he has to use dns to resolve the name. So instead of shouting he will straight contact the DNS server and ask for it's ipaddress.
              The DNS will quickly respond from his own cache and it's done.

However, I also should investigate why their are delays with netbios.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by ego67 View Post
                After taking several network traces I recommended to use the FQDN of the storage' CIFS server instead of the NetBIOS name only,
                \\<servernname.domain.suffix> instead of \\<servername>. This solved the problem, but I have difficulties to explain the subject.
                I told them about the broadcast, etc. and about DNS, but somehow I do not find the right explanation.

Someone can help?
                Hi
                I think you need to give us a bit more information about the setup there.
                Firstly when you use \\<servername> it doesn't necessarily mean that's the Netbios name (In most cases it is though). It's also the Hostname.
                So first of all you need to find out whether the application is using Hostname resolution or Netbios name resolution. In your case it looks like its using Hostname resolution because it's using an UNC path "\\".
                So it's a hostname resolution issue we have here.
                That's when the extra info comes in handy.
                Is the server where the CMS is setup the member of the same domain as the CIFS server?
                Are you using DHCP to supply ip config to the Win 2003 box?
                If you do an ipconfig /all on the server and check the info.
                Which DNS server is it configured to use?
                Is that DNS server configured for resolving names on the domain where the CIFS server belongs if not on the same domain?
                This article will give more of an insight of the Name resolution process: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7005.aspx#EEAA

Cheers
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                X