Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining CAT 6 Ethernet Cables - a Good Idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining CAT 6 Ethernet Cables - a Good Idea?

I need to run some Cat 6 Ethernet Cable from one room to another to extend my LAN .

This is due to wireless connectivity problems caused by solid intervening walls.

Unfortunately the only roll of cable I have available are two pieces each 15 metres long and the run requires a length of about 25 metres.

Is it possible and/or advisable to join these cables to increase the length?

Re: Joining CAT 6 Ethernet Cables - a Good Idea?

CAT5 was a maximum of 100 metres between devices - I can only assume that CAT6 is similar or better. However; if you're getting problems having joined the two cables together, just buy a suitable repeater device. If repeaters are not available these days, just a simple switch in the middle would remove any problems. You'd have to break your join and terminate each cable end with an RJ45, but if you could join them in the first place that wouldn't be an issue...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Check the price difference between buying a cable that is the correct length (and then some), a large roll that you can just cut to length at will, and use later on if you need it, and a switch.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you ever looked at the way CAT6 8P8C (RJ45) connectors are laid out? They are not on a single row like CAT5 connectors but are split into 2 different levels. It makes lining up the individual wires very difficult. I can make a CAT5 patch lead in about 2 minutes. A CAT6 lead took me 15 minutes just for 1 end. No more CAT6 home made cables for me.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          Check the price difference between buying a cable that is the correct length (and then some), a large roll that you can just cut to length at will, and use later on if you need it, and a switch.
          Could you explain what a "switch" is , please ?

Is this a way of joining lengths of Cat 6 cable ?

I've had a look on the web showing the procedure for putting the end terminal onto the end of a length of cable - is the procedure of joining two lengths a similar procedure ?

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
            Could you explain what a "switch" is , please ?

Is this a way of joining lengths of Cat 6 cable ?

I've had a look on the web showing the procedure for putting the end terminal onto the end of a length of cable - is the procedure of joining two lengths a similar procedure ?
            Please tell me this is your own network in your house. Please.

A switch is a device which allows you to plug in a number of devices so that they can talk to each other; it takes traffic from the devices and passes them between the ports needed to talk to the destination device. All the devices must be on the same network (unless the switch has certain functions which I don't need to go into here).

Joining two pieces of CAT5 or CAT6 cable together is not a job for someone who doesn't know how. However if it's at home, you could get away with stripping away a little insulation and twisting the shiny parts of the same colour together on each cable. Or putting a male connector on each loose end, and getting a double-female connector to plug them into (this would be better).

Really - this isn't your job, is it?

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

No reason why not, just splice and twist.
              It will not be cat6, and not mission critical worthy, but why not.

'cmon all hardcore home networks are patchwork and black electric tape.

for example, how to strip a wire, place in mouth, clamp down with teeth, PULL!
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                for example, how to strip a wire, place in mouth, clamp down with teeth, PULL!
                Safetyman says "remember to switch off the mains first"
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X