Facebook ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook ports

hi Iím a network administrator in project and I have 3com wireless router, i want to close the messenger and face book ports in the router so no one can use it in the work hours, which ports I should close or what should I do?
    Thanks

Re: Facebook ports

First of all, Can you specify your router Model, ad tell us a bit more about your environment. Ie are you using Active Directory at all, Proxy/Firewall solution if any?
    That way you may get a more accurate response.
    But, to through a few punches in the dark, you'd be better disabling the Messenger service on the client machines rather than blocking any ports.
    As for Facebook, Clients should use either port 80 or 8080 to connect to it. You can't block any of these ports (even if you had the option to do so) because that way you'll stop internet communication alltogether for clients that use that router.
    But you can configure content filtering in your Firewall to stop access to that particular website.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Facebook is strictly a http app as far as I am concerned.

The easiest way to do this with out a web filter would probably be to create some type of ACL that will deny all traffic to the IP(s) that are associted with facebook.com.

You can find those by doing an nslookup on facebook.com.
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

If your router isn't clever enough to filter by DNS and you only have a few clients then I would suggest changing the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ so that facebook.com goes to 127.0.0.1
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X