Need to fully separate two subnets sharing same internet link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to fully separate two subnets sharing same internet link

Real quick guys, i have two subnets :A 10.0.0.0 and B 192.168.1.0 separated by a linksys router. Wan Port for the linksys is 10.0.0.220.
    Subnet A is connected to a Netgear firewall/router behind the internet modem with routes to our other office sites(except subnet B) and to the internet. The linksys router is supposed to give subnet B access to the net, but unfortunately also gives access to subnet A resources.
    I need for subnet B not to be able to access resources on subnet A.
    I am thinking of directly linking the linksys with its own internet access and separate netgear firewall for internet. Any ideas guys? Need answers like yesterday. Thanks.
    Last edited by biggles77; 2nd July 2008, 18:53. Reason: Added spaces after fullstops (.) for easier reading

Re: Need to fully separate two subnets sharing same internet link

The only one I can think of based on what you are describing would be to change the Linksys Ip to a Class C one matching your Network B network ID 192.168.1.0. I am presuming you are using the built in DHCP in the Router, In that case you dont need to do anything else. If you have another DHCP server on the network (Doubt it) you'll need to change the gateway to the linksys Ip address (192.168.1.x). If you have static IP then it's going to be a trip in each PC unfortunately.

Hope it helps
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks l4ndy.but then, this option leaves subnet B without internet access.which it gets thru the netgear on subnet A .

Comment

You could add a static route to the Netgear router.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The way you describe it, Subnet A is on the same network as the WAN port - which will confuse any router no end. Why not make subnet A 10.1.0.0/16? It will make routing and traffic control MUCH easier to understand... and manage (as far as I can tell).

What happens if you get 230 hosts on subnet A? One of them will be 10.0.0.220 - the same IP address as your WAN port - so some of the internet requests will get routed to some XP workstation inside your own network!!

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Subnet A :10.0.3.0
            Netgear Router/Firewall LAN Port:10.0.3.7, WAN Port 65.196.211.91, with a corresponding gateway.

SUbnet B:192.168.1.0
            Linksys Router LAN Port:192.168.1.1, WAN Port 10.0.3.8, accesses internet thru Router/Firewall.
            Aim is to block subnet B access to subnet A, wtout blocking internet access.

Im not sure a static route on linksys to Netgear will change that???
            Last edited by jchyne; 2nd July 2008, 22:22.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X