Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro/XP MCE Workgroup not connecting

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble connecting an XP Pro PC and a XP MCE laptop to a workgroup....

I ran the wizard on both and they have the same workgroup name, but I wasn't sure what connection to choose at the connection method screen. They both access the internet wirelessly to the Verizon FIOS Actiontec router. The method I chose was "Other" and then "through a network hub"... maybe I'm wrong?

I know NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on both (heck, I even installed NetBEUI). I know the Windows Firewall and 3rd party firewall were disabled and I even had both PC's sharing their C drives.

I forgot to add on, I did enable File and Printer sharing in the wizard and I turned SFS off on both computers. The share folders I shared are the C drives, and their security permissions for "Everyone" are set at full control.

The problem is that when I go to view the workgroup, most of the time it just shows its own PC in the list and never the second one. They just refuse to see each other!

Any ideas??

Sam
    Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 01:51. Reason: forgot to add some details

Re: XP Pro/XP MCE Workgroup not connecting

Can you bring up a command prompt (Go to Start, Run, type cmd, press enter) and run the ipconfig /all command on each computer then repost?

Also, can both machines access the internet?
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Hi boondock,

Unfortunately, I'm not at the business again till tomorrow morning, so I can't post the ipconfig /all results, but they both have internet access (the PC being through a Linksys wireless PCI card, and the other being built in wifi card in the laptop).

Sam

Comment

You can say you're connecting through a LAN for the network connection wizard.

Originally posted by stommy989 View Post
        I turned SFS off on both computers.
        I'm not sure what SFS is. Could you clue me in?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          You can say you're connecting through a LAN for the network connection wizard.

I'm not sure what SFS is. Could you clue me in?
          I don't see that as an option in the network setup wizard? I see the following screens (see my two pics below)... the second is when i click "other" .. not sure which one to choose?

SFS = Simple File Sharing
          Attached Files
          Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 02:54. Reason: added screen pics

Comment

Right, I should really go to bed.

1. I was thinking about the Internet connection wizard
            2. Running the network setup wizard isn't necessary (delete whatever it creates and set up the properties manually)
            3. SFS... oh yeah..... I need to go to bed.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by boondock View Post
              Can you bring up a command prompt (Go to Start, Run, type cmd, press enter) and run the ipconfig /all command on each computer then repost?

Also, can both machines access the internet?
              Ok, I have the two ipconfig /all screens below. One for the PC and the other is the toshiba laptop.

Also, when I ping each other, they will not ping (ex. I ping from the laptop to the PC) I get 0/4 for packets...

Sam
              Attached Files
              Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 15:20. Reason: tried more things

Comment

Looks like the IP configurations are right and DHCP is working as designed.

Since you are unable to ping, can you make sure the firewall is disabled on both computers?

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Then Services. Find Windows Firewall, double click the service. Click Stop, then disable for the time being.

Do this on both machines and let us know if you are able to ping and if you are able to browse shares, etc?
                MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Ok,

The firewall were both off, but I just disabled the service completely on both the PC and laptop..still unable to access anything.

Here's the error I get as well. I tried changing my workgroup name so it's not MSHOME again on both, but still no luck. On the laptop, it just sees its own laptop name.

Also, would the PC having SP3 and the laptop having SP2 cause any trouble?
                  EDIT: I downgraded SP3 to SP2 again for consistency. Then I re-disabled the Windows firewall service since it turns it back on.

Also, I checked the other services (Server, Computer Browser, TCP/IP, DHCP, etc. and those are all enabled and started)

Still no luck .. I've honestly never had this much trouble setting up a workgroup! I've had no luck trying Start - Run - \\computername or \\ipaddress. I get "network path not found"...

Sam
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 17:45. Reason: sp3 downgrade

Comment

Um, delete, disable, or remove whatever was setup by the Network Setup Wizard on both machines. I see in your screenshot that it's still there.

You also may want to check on your wireless router to make sure there's no settings on the firewall to prevent communication between the machines.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy,
                      but what exactly do I "delete" or disable from the Network Setup Wizard? The shared folders it's seeing in my last screenshot?
                      Also, I logged into the the FIOS firewall and its set to "minimum security" where inbound and outbound policy is set to "accept"
                      Sam
                      Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 18:18.

Comment

The overly large icon that says Wireless Broadband Router.
                        In your network connections you should only have the actual adapters listed under LAN or High-Speed Internet (leave any dial-up or VPN connections you might need)
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ok,
                          I deleted that and the network folders that were listed on the PC and laptop. All empty now...
                          I also read somewhere to try changing the Node type? It's now set to Broadcast instead of Unknown through a registry change. Then I also read somewhere else to change the values for setting/force the PC as the Master Browse Server by changing the value to Yes, and the rest of the PC's to No.... those didn't help either!

Another alternative is editing the LMHOSTS file I've read? If anyone thinks I should try it...I what should I do, and do I do this on both computers?

Sam
                          Last edited by stommy989; 26th June 2008, 21:58. Reason: update

Comment

I wouldn't bother as that all deals with name resolution. Right now you can't even get to the computer by IP address so there's something up with the network configuration.

Since you deleted everything, check the settings on your adapters to make sure they're still setup with DHCP and that they are getting an IP address and that you're able to ping the gateway and access the Internet.

Once you've verified the above, check the firewall settings on each computer to enable file and print sharing, and also share a new folder. Then try and access each other computer using the IP address (e.g. \\192.168.1.2)

If that fails, log on to your router and check the firewall setting to make sure there's nothing blocking communication between clients. Also make sure everything on the router is setup properly.

If that fails, find some CAT5 cable and plug in your computers to the router (disable the wireless cards) and see if you can connect.

Also, please list:
                            - AV software
                            - Firewall software
                            - Anti-spyware, adware, malware
                            - VPN client software
                            - any other software that might be pertinent
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment