Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why DNS needed to be added to hosts file?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why DNS needed to be added to hosts file?

We have Windows Server 2003. We have users using Netextender from Sonicwall for remote access (VPN). This was working fine. All of a sudden last week, every remote person could not access remote resouces, even though the VPN connection was solid.

As soon as I edited their hosts file by adding DNS entries to our servers and did an ipconfig/flushdns, the problem was resolved.

I just want to know what could have caused this from happening in the first place? I really would like to know or at least a list of possible reasons.

Nobody that I know of here did not make any changes to our VPN environment nor updated our server in any way. The only thing that happened recently is that our website was updated by an outside consultant who is not very web savy. She only uploads/downloads, however. We host our website on godaddy.com.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Last edited by KashMarsh; 23rd June 2008, 17:36. Reason: i r not gud spellerz

Re: Why DNS needed to be added to hosts file?

Originally posted by KashMarsh View Post
    As soon as I edited their hosts file by adding DNS entries to our servers and did an ipconfig/flushdns, the problem was resolved.
    Are you saying that you edited the hosts file on the clients or that you edited the DNS zone?
    And where did you flush the DNS cache, on the clients or on the server?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
    X