IP KVM Reviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP KVM Reviews

Anyone used these before and can recommend one?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: IP KMV Reviews

I think you mean IP KVM switch
    Yes, I used it quite a while ago from HP. And I liked it. Easy to extend and just an extra network cable to your server instead of 3 cables for the KVM.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I'm using an Avocent. It works out pretty good it just sucks that you have to buy a IP converter for each server you have.
      MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Are you looking for single node units (i.e. Minicom PX and Lantronix Spider) or for something a bit more large scale (I.e. Raritan Dominion and Avocent DSR8035?)

EDIT: Or are you looking for something integrated like iLO, DRAC, or a third-party card?
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 18th June 2008, 01:35.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I'm looking for a single node one.

I was looking at the minicom one:

http://www.minicom.com/kvm_ipcontrol.htm

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Although retired I used this one:
            http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...x-console.html
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

avocent is the most common and well known one
              ________
              Vaporite solo
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:57.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Cheers guys,

I'll take a look into all the suggestions

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Re: IP KVM Reviews

Take a look at the Lantronix Spider. It's cheaper than the Minicom, but seems to have all the features. There's also this ability to "chain" multiple devices together but share one IP address. That's really only useful if you have multiple computers to hook up though. I just bought one from Amazon last night for about $360. Here's a video review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-k0xaAFRCY

There's also the Avocent DSR1024 (I don't really like the size or the features though), the Raritan KX2-101 and the Adder iPeps.

Whichever one you buy, let us know how it works out for you.
                  Last edited by Nonapeptide; 18th June 2008, 23:05. Reason: spelling
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I think were going to go for the Avocent 1020:

http://www.avocent.com/SwitchView_IP_1020.aspx

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Looks good. I like that you can have one local KVM user and one remote IP KVM user. That is one of the annoyances that I've found with most KVM over IP devices. It takes up the video port so that there is no local physical access unless you use some kind of VGA splitter.

That may be my next KVM over IP purchase. Thanks for the info!
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Yeah it does everything we need. We it get's delivered I'll let you know what it's like

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

I can't fault the avocent 1020 IP KVM. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Only issues I can think of are:

1. Mouse sync can be a bit iffy
                          2. You cannot shutdown / restart the server via the console like a normal iLo / DRAC card

But apart from that they perform the job fine!

Michael
                          Michael Armstrong
                          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X