Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A record for name outside my dns

Hi,

I want to add a dns record for MY dns within my lan with internal IP address but the dns name if outside my lan have a different address. Can it be done?

the senario is that i'm using my mobile with activesync for exchange and when i'm in the office i want it to use the wifi and outside my office i want to use 3g but i cant change the name of the server everytime.

My lan dns in for a .local domain!

Thanks in advanced,

Tsahy Erez

Re: A record for name outside my dns

Create a new zone for your public namespace (domain.com) and then add in an A record for your server (host.domain.com) that resolves to your internal IP address. Check if your website is hosted externally as well as you may need to add in an A record for www for that too.

Have a look at:
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Y...Split_DNS.html
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6097830.html
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I forget who I learned this from but a nice trick to do is instead of creating zone for domain.com and then putting an A record in it for the host, you can create a zone that is the FQDN of the resource (e.g. mail.domain.com) and then put an A record in it that is "same as parent".

This is helpful if you have other resources in your domain that are external to you LAN. That way you don't need to create a record for each of those other resources, basically duplicating what is in the public DNS zone.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Not that I doubted it but just to let everyone know, I just did this and it works a treat. Make sure you flush the dns resolver on the client (ipconfig /flushdns) and on the DNS server (dnscmd /clearcache) or just wait for it to clear natually.

cheers Jeremy
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          I forget who I learned this from but a nice trick to do is instead of creating zone for domain.com and then putting an A record in it for the host, you can create a zone that is the FQDN of the resource (e.g. mail.domain.com) and then put an A record in it that is "same as parent".

This is helpful if you have other resources in your domain that are external to you LAN. That way you don't need to create a record for each of those other resources, basically duplicating what is in the public DNS zone.
          I guess that makes perfect sense but I never even thought of it!! Good Find!! Cheers Jeremy.
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
          X