Setting up small network - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up small network - help!

Hi, I'm fairly new to networking and need some help/advice in setting up my home office network. At the moment I have a router with four hub built in and it also has wireless capabilities.

It's a NETGEAR WGR614 v7, plugged into it using the blue cables (forget their proper name :S) is my two main computers. I have two ports free for spare computers, but what I want to do is set up a permanent connection out in the shed.

What do I need to do? I was thinking of running one of the blue cables thru the wall of the house out to the shed inside a piece of plastic conduit and having this plugged into a wall socket inside the shed so that if I want to plug a computer into the network out there, all I have to do is plug another blue cable into the socket.

Am I right, or being too simple? Is there a maximum length that the cable can be? It's about 75' from the office to shed. Are there other things I need to do?

Re: Setting up small network - help!

Hi,

Since it has wireless capabilities then why you want to lay down the wires....

use wireless lan (if its computer then you have to check for wireless NIC, or if its laptop (newer one) then its has wireless port..

Rgds

Comment

If you have wireless then using that might be a whole lot easier.

But if you want to run some cable then 75' should be no problem.
      There is outdoor cable available but the conduit should work fine.... but you may want to just get a wireless card because you'll probably spend just as much or more running the cable.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Not all comps have wireless connection, and it's mainly for the computers that I've got to fix for other people that I want to make sure work and can connect to the Internet. Trying to run the business from the shed, so that I don't have people coming into the house. Plus it keeps extra computers out of my kitchen.

Comment

Sounds good. Run the cable and you should be fine.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X