DNS Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Issue

I'm getting a event error 13508 in the File Replication Service logs. When I do an nslookup it gave me the primary name server.

C:\nslookup
    Default Server: primary.01.02.03.domain.com
    Address: 222.222.222.222

Which is fine cause that is our main server and primary DNS server.

When I did a;

C:\nslookup>primary
    Server: primary.01.02.03.domain.com

Name: primary.01-02-03.domain.com

Seems ok to me.

When I did a;

> 222.222.222.222
    Server: primary.01.02.03.domain.com

Time out 2 second and some other blabble.

I went to check the error logs and found the 13508 error amongst other errors, but this one seemed to relate to this.

I went to check the error again and it no longer gives me the time out error. Did it fix itself, does this happen once in awhile, is it supposed to do this? I think not, but it's just weird. I'm not a DNS guy by any stretch but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mudd; 2nd June 2008, 17:29.

Re: DNS Issue

Er... yes... maybe. NSLOOKUP timed out. That means it didn't get a reply which means the server might still be looking for an answer (or is busy doing something else and will get to that request later).

So it could be that went it finally got to it nslookup wasn't waiting anymore. When you did it the second time it was in it's cache so not much processing was needed... or it wasn't busy at the time.

... or it could be that there's something wrong with your server.... (maybe it's over taxed?)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
    X