Adding PC to LAN - Question ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding PC to LAN - Question ?

I presently have a LAN which consists of a desktop linked to the Web through a DSL modem connected to a Linksys Wireless router which then connects by a CAT 5 cable to a network card on the desktop.

A laptop is wirelessly linked to this router thus enabling Web access to the laptop.

This network has the name "xxxxxx" and is protected by WPA encryption and which shows up in any wireless-capable pc within range as wireless network "xxxxxx-Security-enabled network(WPA)"

I now wish to have a 3rd wireless-equipped machine , a Logitec "Squeezebox" linked to the desktop so that I can use it to access some music files installed on the desktop remotely from another room in my house from that in which the desktop is situated.( this "Squeezebox would be physically connected to my HI-FI equipment)

My question is this :-

Would it be possible for this third wireless-equipped machine i.e. the "Squeezebox" to link to the desktop using the wireless router as a "bridge" to the desktop , the desktop itself having no wireless-capable connection ?

Re: Adding PC to LAN - Question ?

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
    I presently have a LAN which consists of a desktop linked to the Web through a DSL modem connected to a Linksys Wireless router which then connects by a CAT 5 cable to a network card on the desktop.

A laptop is wirelessly linked to this router thus enabling Web access to the laptop.

This network has the name "xxxxxx" and is protected by WPA encryption and which shows up in any wireless-capable pc within range as wireless network "xxxxxx-Security-enabled network(WPA)"

I now wish to have a 3rd wireless-equipped machine , a Logitec "Squeezebox" linked to the desktop so that I can use it to access some music files installed on the desktop remotely from another room in my house from that in which the desktop is situated.( this "Squeezebox would be physically connected to my HI-FI equipment)

My question is this :-

Would it be possible for this third wireless-equipped machine i.e. the "Squeezebox" to link to the desktop using the wireless router as a "bridge" to the desktop , the desktop itself having no wireless-capable connection ?
    Think of the wireless waves coming from your router as a big unseen switch floating in the air. If something can connect to that switch, it's on the LAN and can connect to anything on that LAN that is shared out or that it has the password to.

So yes, if you Squeezebox can connect to the WPA wireless network, it's just as much on the LAN as if it was plugged into a switch. From there, it's a matter of gaining access to that PC such as with an open file share or a password protected share.

Does that make sense?

Let us know how it works out.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: Adding PC to LAN - Question ?

[QUOTE=Nonapeptide;105589]

Does that make sense?

Perfectly !
      A very clear explanation for which I thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X