Keep VPN alive after logoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep VPN alive after logoff

Client connects OK to VPN server. However after loging off, the VPN connection disconnects.

Using the Default VPN dialup client in XP.

Some ideas i had so far that I am still checking
    • Third party client
    • VPN client as a service
    • Hardware appliance to route traffic

Any ideas on how to keep it alive after logoff?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: Keep VPN alive after logoff

The VPN software packages I use, CheckPoint and Cisco, are only active while I am logged on.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The Cisco client actually does support the keep alive after logoff, its the windows one that I need (PPTP).

I have a script/batch file that gets data from a remote location to this box. It only is available over a VPN, I want to schedule it and not have to be logged in for the scripts to work.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I think a Site-to-site connection is a better solution though.
        As far as I know MS vpn client doesn't support it.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Can't you get the user to lock the computer rather than log it off???

Bit simple i know but it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
            I think a Site-to-site connection is a better solution though.
            As far as I know MS vpn client doesn't support it.
            I would however I have no control over the gateway server. If I can find a hardware client dial router I may use that.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Can't you get the user to lock the computer rather than log it off???

Bit simple i know but it would work.
            It has to be more reliable than that. Its a TS; no one ever connects to the console.

Comment

Then you'll need to try doing the VPN connection in session that doesn't log off -- like a service.

Can you script your VPN connection (run something w/out user intervention)? If so, you should be able to use MS's ancient INSTSRV / SRYANY utilities.

I did the requisite and came up with all kinds of interesting links.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

eureka!
                That answer in the second link was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Note the is for Rick everyone else gets

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                  eureka!
                  That answer in the second link was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Note the is for Rick everyone else gets
                  Excellent.

Glad to see you've fixed it

Comment

Working...
                  X