No announcement yet.

New to Networking, need you!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Networking, need you!

First, Im new to the community and to the site, so nice to mmet you all.

It`s been a long time since i want to get more seriously in networking
    and i have decided to take my experience in it one step forward.

its important to emphasize that i want to start from windows 2003 based servers.
    Assuming i have all the software required ...

Now I need a bit of help here ...
    So here my questions for now
    i thank you all in advance for helping.

1) Does it matter if i start with home pc`s, just for the trial
    or i have to get servers to get it all to work?

2) Which Server should be implented/installed first?

Re: New to Networking, need you!

For future reference, please give your topic a more accurate title. Sugggestions can be found in the Posting Rules, and there is also a Microsoft Knowledge Base article written by a very clever person on how to ask a question. This is also well worth reading, and will help your construct appropriate questions in the future.

As to your present questions.

1. No, it does not matter if you install Windows Server 2003 trial version on a PC. I would suggest something with 512MB RAM and a 20GB HDD that you can partition in 2. (40GB would be better)

Something better like a Dual core CPU and 2GB to 4GB RAM and a largre HDD (300+ GB) would allow you to use MS Virtual Server and Virtual PC or the VMWare products and you could create virtual machines and virtual networks.

2. Windows Server 2003 should be installed first. Have a look around it, see what is there then run DCPROMO. Now the fun begins.

3. (I know, there was no 3) Check out the training Labs at Train Signal They will get you up too speed very quickly and give you instant experience.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thank You Very much biggles77.
      i guess i`ll go and bring on some pc`s for trial ... i dont want to go with virtual stuff yet.

as for trainsiganl , ive got some of their stuff to, but im looking for more video material about TCP/IP , which is part of the basics, cantfind any yet...

do you know any?

Originally posted by DeepN3lue View Post
        im looking for more video material about TCP/IP
        This is what you need. If you want to know how TCP/IP is implemented on Microsoft servers, you will need the specific DHCP, DNS, IIS and such, videos.
        Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

I install Server OSs on my home PCs, and have on occasion run into some driver problems. Of course, when you go to the hardware manufacturer's web site they probably won't have drivers for Server 200x, or Solaris, or NetWare (did I just say NetWare?!). The hardware is intended for home use and as such the drivers may not function like you want it to on a Server OS.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen to me very often. Disk controllers might be the hardest to tame. More home PCs are coming with RAID controllers that you can turn on in the BIOS, however the drivers for the home OS don't usually run on a server OS.

I'm saving up for a true-blue server box at some point in the future, but I digress...

BTW, nice to see you here. Let us know if you need anything else.

Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: