No announcement yet.

networking diagnostic program

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking diagnostic program

hello all
    i have an SBS 2003 in my office and i'm looking for a good networking diagnostic program - tool that can help me see what is going on with me network on each computer .....
    i want to run this program from my laptop and NOT from the server ... is it possibale???
    can any one recommand a good and frindly user program ? and can send me a link that i can read about the program ....

thanks a lot

Re: networking diagnostic program

Thanks for posting, but I feel you should really be asking this is the Network forum as it is not particularly SBS. There are a number of network monitoring programs out there if you - or the built in Network monitor if you have 2 NICs on the server - but then you need to work with it on the server itself not the laptop as you requested.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Wireshark has always been my favourite but to be fair the Microsoft one is pretty good.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

yup, +1 to wireshark (ex ethereal)
        Cerebral Palsy Forums
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:36.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Moved from SBS 2003 Forum.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

Clarify for me what you mean when you say that you want to "see what is going on with me network on each computer".
            • Do you want detailed information about hosts that could be retrieved via SNMP? (The Dude, et. al. )
            • Do you wants samples of overall network traffic? (sFlow, NetFlow)

Some of these can be run from your computer easily, others would require some effort, and still others require the aid of your hardware (sFlow, NetFlow) but the info can be forwarded to your laptop.

Someday I'll have to write a sticky about network monitoring possibilities. Oh wait, that's what Wikipedia is for.
            Last edited by Nonapeptide; 30th April 2008, 01:34. Reason: Punctuation.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

thanks for you help ...
              i'll try some of the progs you wrote