Cannot Connect Wirelessly Outside Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Connect Wirelessly Outside Domain

I have a domain with a wireless LAN. Although in the domain the wireless network works well with my laptops (I have it WEP encrypted) the laptops will not connect to the internet over other wireless networks. For example, I can connect to an un-secured wireless network; I get an IP address and windows looks like itís connected. However when I try to access a web page, I get a page cannot be displayed. Both of my laptops are windows XP SP2 and the wireless settings are controlled by windows. Can anyone explain this and know how to correct it?

Re: Cannot Connect Wirelessly Outside Domain

WEP encryption is easy to break nowadays, I even tried one of the programs myself and could, so I would recommend making it more secure asap.

I assume the unsecured connection works fine for other devices?
    When you connect can you ping the gateway and do you know the DNS is correct?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes everything looks fine. I was at my mate's house yesterday and it couldn't get on his wireless network as stated in my previous post however I could ping the gateway. I'm typing this to you now from an internet cafe where some how I was able to connect. Odd. Don't know why it's working today in the cafe and not yesterday at my mate's house.

Comment

Are you sure you got DNS servers at your mates? I've had wireless that connected and didn't pass traffic so it could just a one-off.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

When I did an ipconfig/all there was a DNS server listed which I could ping and get a response. I should also mention that I have another laptop (on a different domain) which worked perfectly. I'm wondering if there was a Group policy that I applied accidentally. I can't seem to see it if I did.

Comment

Working...
          X