No announcement yet.

link aggregation lacp and vmware

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• link aggregation lacp and vmware

Hello, I am trying to get clarity on a few things and am looking for some info.

In every article I have read about link aggregation and lacp, it can be used combine physical links to create 1 logical link for increased bandwidth.

But what it doesn't say is if this is limited by source/dst or tx/rx. IE 1 destination can only reach the capacity of one of the physical links, or if in fact it is a true 4GB connection (if I was using 4x 1gb connections). I have looked into several hashing methods, and linux bonding seems to support round robin which would do what I am looking for. However, VMware/ESX does not have this type of bonding, just IP/Mac/Port hasing.

I have had these results trying to setup a 4GB connection from ESX<->switch, and Linux/NFS<->switch over 4 1gb nics. In the end results I am trying to get 320/MB disk transfer between the vmware server and the Linux/NFS/Disk array I have setup, but I always see traffic over only 1 port. Is LACP the wrong choice maybe? Or has anyone been able to set this up and if so what type of hardware?
    Edit/Delete Message
    Last edited by jaredo; 15th April 2008, 14:52.

Re: link aggregation lacp and vmware

Link aggregation (LA) means aggregating several ports together to implement outgoing/incoming payload balancing amongst the member ports, and enhance the connection reliability. Link aggregation types include manual aggregation, dynamic LACP aggregation, and static LACP aggregation. In terms of load sharing, link aggregation may be load sharing aggregation and non-load sharing aggregation. For the member ports in an aggregation group, their basic configurations must be the same. That is, if one is a trunk port, the others must also be; when it turns into access port, then others must change to access port.
    A Hash of the source and destination MAC or IP addresses is used to choose which port within the aggregated link a particular packet will be send across. However, in one-to-one host communication the traffic would be send always on 1 link (usually the master port); whether in one-to-many communications, the traffic would be balanced over the members port in the LA.

Hope this helps!