Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for 'special' RJ-45 plug

Hi,

I can't locate a certain type of RJ-45 plug for making CAT5e ethernet cables and I was hoping someone, somewhere knows where I can find them. I don't know what they're called so I'll try my best to describe them.

The plug has the 'regular' part with latch that actually gets plugged into the RJ-45 receptacle of some network device. But, the plug has a larger square plastic peice that 'sticks' out of the RJ-45 recepticle. This larger second half of the plug has a latch that points forward, covering the regular latch that you have on every ethernet cable. When you press down on the rear latch, it in turn depresses the front latch making it easy to remove the CAT5 cable from whatever device you have it plugged into.

Does anyone know where I can get this type of RJ-45 plug? Thanks.

Riley

Re: Searching for 'special' RJ-45 plug

Pretty common. It's a rubber cap to protect the somewhat fragile plastic latch. Most network cable places should have them.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply but it's not a rubber cap. I wish I knew what it was called. The plug is one peice, plastic, with a 2nd latch at the rear of the plug, facing forward and covering the first latch.

Comment

Can you show us a picture? What brand of cables are the ones that you have? Any markings or numbers on the cable that are of interest?

EDIT:

Did it look something like this:

here's another:

As Wired said, that's a common snagless cable that can be purchsed just about anywhere. Try looking at Belkin or Cables to Go. Actually, the best option is to go to DealTime.com, PriceGrabber.com, or Google shopping [I liked the name Froogle better ] and search for snagless cat5e cables.
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 10th April 2008, 17:47. Reason: Did some more research
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Sorry for the blurry pictures. I hope they're clear enough.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's something that looks similar:

http://www.stsi.net/storefrontprofil...id=7584&dfid=1

There's also these:

http://www.topmicrousa.com/rjbt-bl.html
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Those look good. Thanks!

Comment

As the stsi.net link shows, those are snagless cables. As the link also points out, the correct name for ethernet plugs and jacks is 8P8C (8 position 8 conductor). RJ-45 connectors are strictly for the phone industry but since they both look so similar and RJ-45 was on the scene first, people tend to call ethernet jacks and plugs RJ-45 instead of 8P8C.

Comment

Allow me to split a hair

Allow me to split one teensy little hair.

Quoth joeqwerty:
                  As the stsi.net link shows, those are snagless cables.
                  Actually, the STSI.net link says that those are snagless modular plugs, not including the cables. Check out the title: "Panduit RJ45 Snagless Modular Plug: 8 Position / 8 Conductor for Round, Solid CAT5 Cable [MP588-M]"

Also, at $0.69 a piece, if that included cable it'd only be about 4 inches long.

As the link also points out, the correct name for ethernet plugs and jacks is 8P8C (8 position 8 conductor). RJ-45 connectors are strictly for the phone industry but since they both look so similar and RJ-45 was on the scene first, people tend to call ethernet jacks and plugs RJ-45 instead of 8P8C.
                  How true. However, if I ask people for an 8P8C connector, the blank stares that I receive make me go back to saying "RJ45".
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Point taken. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X