File Transfer Across a LAN - Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Transfer Across a LAN - Question

I have my d/t and laptop wirelessly networked so that both can "see" each other.

On both machines I have made one Folder a Shared Folder.

Both machines have XP Pro SP2 installed and "Simple File Sharing " enabled.

I am able to copy files either way but , if I try to "move" the files I get the "access denied" message .

Is "moving" files across such a LAN not possible ?

If it is possible , could you explain how I can enable it, please ?

Re: File Transfer Across a LAN - Question

I suspect that Simple File Sharing doesn't give you the appropriate access to the folders. A move requires delete permissions on the source file\folder so you will need to modify the permissions to include the Change share permission and the Modify or Full NTFS permission.

Comment

Have a read on this:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        I suspect that Simple File Sharing doesn't give you the appropriate access to the folders. A move requires delete permissions on the source file\folder so you will need to modify the permissions to include the Change share permission and the Modify or Full NTFS permission.
        Thank you for the reply.

From my , admittedly , rather hazy understanding of the complexities of Permissions and File Sharing I am willing to accept that MOVING files is a "horse of a different colour" than copying or , as explained below , merely attempting to READ files but I still have difficulties with the following differences in results obtained when I merely try to READ files across a LAN - not all files but two particular examples explained here :-

1. Attempting to read Contact details on MS Outlook across the LAN &
        2. Attempting to read e-mail messages in Outlook Express also across the LAN

In the case of MS Outlook I use this on the desktop solely as a Contacts List which is contained in the file "contacts.pst" inside Outlook.
        MS Outlook on the desktop has the path :- G:\Programs \MS Office\Office.

If I enable sharing on the Folder "Office" here I can "see" this Folder on the LAN-linked laptop but , if I attempt to access it , I get "access denied"

Similarly with Outlook Express i.e. the Folder Outlook Express is a "Shared Folder" and is found in the path :- C:\Program Files\O.E.\msimn.exe.

This Folder is also "seen" across the LAN but also gives " access denied " when I attempt to READ it.

What puzzles me in all this is that this "access denied" message does not occur in every attempt to read a file across the LAN .
        For instance , if I insert a .txt file into Notepad and save this into C:\Download - ( another "shared" Folder ) - I am able to open that file across the LAN without any problem.

Why this difference , I wonder ?

Is it , perhaps, because attempting to access the two files "outlook.ie" and "msimn.exe" both involve the launching of Applications ( MS Outlook and Outlook Express respectively ) whereas a simple ".txt" file does not ?

All of the above happens with "Simple File Sharing " selected admittedly but that fact will , presumably, apply both to the ".txt file" situation as it will to the other two cases.

Comment

Running Process Monitor on both computers might shed some like on the subject.
          Run a capture while doing something that give you an access denied message and then search the capture for an access denied results.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            Running Process Monitor on both computers might shed some like on the subject.
            Run a capture while doing something that give you an access denied message and then search the capture for an access denied results.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx
            Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not familiar with Process Monitor but have only recently had a look at it.
            It seems a very powerful App to me and I suspect its way out of my league but will have a go.

Comment

Working...
            X