Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issues

hi,

I can access certain websites, but i can't ping them.

www.jse.co.za
    www.mci.co.za
    www.rmb.co.za

I get request time out on all these.

Now people from these domains can't send us mails. So, there's no coincidence.
    It must be a DNS issue, but question is, is the problem at the ISP ? or on our side ?

And how do i fix this ?

Please help
    Thanks
    Yanchri

Re: DNS issues

The two issues are not neccessarily and are probably not related. The fact that you can access the web sites tells me that DNS, TCP/IP, Routing, and your Firewall are all working for internal to external access. The networks hosting the web sites may not allow inbound ICMP traffic which is why your pings are failing (this is not uncommon). As for the email not being delivered to you, what is your evidence? How do you know that emails are not coming in? Can you post some additional information?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The two issues are not neccessarily and are probably not related. The fact that you can access the web sites tells me that DNS, TCP/IP, Routing, and your Firewall are all working for internal to external access. The networks hosting the web sites may not allow inbound ICMP traffic which is why your pings are failing (this is not uncommon). As for the email not being delivered to you, what is your evidence? How do you know that emails are not coming in? Can you post some additional information?
      People are getting non-delivery of email, and they get the following message
      505, User does not exist. or something like that.
      However, the user does exist on the exchange box.

Our domain is unigrain.co.za
      i'll do some tests again from my side.

your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Last edited by Yanchri; 14th March 2008, 07:35.

Comment

If you are not able to ping a certain host, does not mean that the server or host is unavailable. Eather your ICMP packets are blocked somewhere, or the host is not responding to ICMP packets.

505.7.3 encryption, DNS, Authentication all sorts are reported with that code.
        Would love to see a NDR.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com